Start-up Irritation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-7f4ca145be, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Anon-7f4ca145be

Anon-7f4ca145be Anonymized

Running Windows XP SP2.
    Everytime I start up, the system check the "A" (Floppy) drive, a check that makes noise, takes time, and I know does not need to be done. An IT guy where I worked once disabled this start-up check. The drive still works when needed.

How do I stop this start-up check?

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

You'll need to re-boot your computer and press whatever key that lets you "Enter Setup". Could be Delete, F2, Escape-- it varies by manufacturer. Look for a setting something like "boot sequence", and change it so your hard drive is first instead of your floppy. I think the preferred way these days-- since floppies are becoming essentially obsolete-- is to set it hard drive, CD drive, and then floppy.

3. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

Also, look for a selection (in bios setup) that says Boot up Floppy Seek (or something like that) and disable it. Between the two changes, your problem should be taken care of.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds