Started in Malware removal, now in Software forum

Discussion in 'Software' started by pauljacks411, Aug 26, 2010.

1. pauljacks411

pauljacks411 Private E-2

Hello, I went through the whole removing malware procedure which took me hours to try to fix my pc. I was told my logs are clean but it does not change the fact that my computer shuts itself down while trying to run in safe mode or running Kaspersky antivirus. Is there any further help before I just give in and reformat my machine?

Paul

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, pauljacks411...

We need to know what OS and service pack# you're running, the Kaspersky version, and any other machine specs you can come up with...also, do you have a Windows disk, or do you have a recovery partition?

3. pauljacks411

pauljacks411 Private E-2

Thank you for the quick reply!
    I am running Microsoft Windows XP Professional Ver 2002 SP2
    Kaspersky version: 9.0.0.736
    Unfortunately, I do not have a windows recovery disk or partition.
    My machine is a Toshiba Satellite L305D
    AMD Turion 64 X2
    2.00 Ghz, 2.87 Gb of RAM

Thanks, Paul

4. Caliban

To verify: is your machine shutting down, or restarting?

And, as a troubleshooting procedure, you might try disconnecting from the internet, disabling Kaspersky, and see if your symptoms change...

One more quickie: check your Event Viewer, see if there are any entries approximating the time of the shutdown/reboots...

5. pauljacks411

pauljacks411 Private E-2

Thanks Caliban, the computer just shuts down and I physically have to start it back up. You've hit on something though; I disconnected from the internet by literally unplugging my modem, paused my Kaspersky internet security and rebooted in safe mode successfully! As far as the event viewer, I'm not sure what to do there. Now that I'm in safe mode, shoudl I run all the anti-malware process I did before in Malware Removal?

Thanks, Paul

6. Caliban

Yes, by all means: run everything you can think of...the fact that the machine starts and runs normally in Safe Mode pretty much indicates that some 3rd-party software is causing the problem...

Keep us posted...

7. pauljacks411

pauljacks411 Private E-2

Caliban, running any of the anti aware programs in safe mode shuts the comp. down. Now, the virus seems to be more malicious shutting me down while in safe mode randomly like after I type in my login and hit enter. I'm not sure what to do, it moves fast when scanning so I can't pinpoint what file being scanned is triggering the shutdown.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds