1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

starting over format the harddrive

Discussion in 'Software' started by watchntv, Aug 21, 2010.

1. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I was told that I should sometimes redo my computer and make it new again
    get a recovery disk from the manufacturer
    move all the files I want to a disk
    then pop in the recovery disk and about a day later computer is back up

I have a Compaq presiario
    SR 1000T

is this right?
    I dont have MS word, 97, the one I like, will it be restored? or do I need to find the disk?
    what about my internet bookmarks? How Do I save those?
  2. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

Guessing you have XP, and that museum piece (excuses, computer j/k) restore disks generally doesn't come with any office product even Office 97, i guess you will have to found the disk.

Yes, you need to save your IE Bookmarks, into IE just clic in File > Import and Export > Bookmarks and then save the file in a secure place.

Hope it helps, cheers.
  3. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

you are so mean
    thats what the compaq dude told me also, that my computer is so old, I am screwed
    they dont make recovery disks
    I have the MS office, I found it

so what do I do for a new computer
    I dont think I need one,. yet
  4. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

That was true at the time of Windows 9x, but since Windows 2000 I have never found a reason to "redo" my system(s).

If you keep it clean of "crap" (CCleaner) and malware, defrag your partition(s) a couple of times a year, I really don't see any need to reinstall Windows and all applications.

All my computers run as fast as on their first day, some even better due to the fine-tuning done over the years.

P.S. all my computers are also very old (Windows 2000 and XP), but I have no need to get anything newer soon...
  6. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I actually gave a link to the "Malware" thread
    so this guy could see why I never complained about a thing

my only complaint about my computer in the last year or so was recent, when I came back from being gone 2 weeks and had unplugged my computer and I had to plug it back in and let "charge" before it would stay on.