Startup Hard Disk Warning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dannyd, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Dannyd

Dannyd Private E-2

Gday

I've had a problem with my Dell PIII 2Ghz computer for a while now and have finally decided to do something about it.

When I start the computer up the following message appears before windows loads (straight away)

It has been this way for over a year, and I always hit F1 where it goes to another screen where I choose to load Windows XP.

The computer then runs, as far as I can see, fine, although I do not employ it to complex use, but rather for the internet and odd word document.

Is my hard disk truly stuffed or is there perhaps another problem, perhaps a total format would help?

Looking forward to your responses

Cheers,
    Daniel.

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

What you have here is a disk failure in progress motherboards have a program to monitor harddisk it call S.M.A.R.T and when the paramater are off
    by too much you will have this message you having, so yes it's times to
    change your harddsik NOW.....

But to be shure is that go into your bios and check for SMART and disabled it
    reboot if your message dissapears then you knows this is your harddisk.....

3. Dannyd

Dannyd Private E-2

Thanks alot for the reply mate :)

I searched through the bios for this 'smart' thing but failed to find it. Therefore I can't really run the test but I suppose my hard drive must be stuffed then.

Strange though as it has been like this for over a year and the computer has functioned fine. Might have to be on the lookout for a cheap hard drive then!

Cheers

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds