"Startup" in System Configuration Utility

Discussion in 'Software' started by oma, Jul 22, 2008.

1. oma

oma MajorGeek

I want to remove as many "startup"s as possible. This is the first time I looked at it. Can identify most of them but don't really know if some can be disabled at startup.

Here are the screen shots of them. Which ones do you suggest I disable? I think that the jusched must be the java update scheduler, so can that be unticked as well? Thank you.

PS: I unticked the SUPERspyware software program because I have the free version only. Yet I noticed that the Antispyware icon still appears in the taskbar? Also unticked the PC Pitstop because I run it manually.

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi oma

1st off I would not use msconfig as a startup manager as you wish to remove startups or as many as possible? yes is the answer, but what many forget is msconfig adds its own one back to the startup list, so while you may remove many startups, you'd be adding one back. Also if you uninstall an application in which you have disabled its startup with msconfig, its strtup reference is left in msconfig with no easy way to remove it ( it can be removed and I have posted some steps in another thread which escapes me for now ), so kinda defeats the object.

So my best advice is do not use msconfig as its primary function is and has alwasy been a troubleshooting tool, so use a dedicated startup manager, Windows Defender has one, plus now a favorite tool of many in latest version CCleaner has one in Tools > Startup .. and just highlight the entry to disable and click disable.

So to startups I would disable myself are:

nvcpl ~ Nvidia control panel, this can be opened via control panel link if needed
    Jusched ~ java updater
    Qtask ~ Quicktime updater

sgtray ~ Veritas Secure Guard, do you have this as a scheduled task or run manually?
    Skype ~ do you run this at boot and chat to folk or just when you feel like chatting, if so then this can be disabled from startup and run when you need it.

so I would re-tick the ones you have unticked and have msconfig start normally then use CCleaner to disable them.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I would suggest that you do not use msconfig to disable startups ....You may wish to use a Startup Manager

Beat me to it, Halo ...:)

4. DavidGP

Yes oma, the application TimW posted also is a good one to manage startups.

I would need to search the file names for knowing what the others in your list are as off hand I dont recognise some.

One I do know is CTFMON and its part of Office and its alternative input tools.. speach and writing, so do you use a tablet and pen to write text etc, if not these are instructions for removing that one Remove CTFMON

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thank you both for helping me out TimW and Halo!

I've disabled the unneeded items first in CCleaner and that seems to be working fine. Additionally, I downloaded Tim's link and checked it out. I'm a bit afraid to tinker with that software though in case I make a mistake because I wouldn't know how to add a disabled one back.

I rebooted and everything loaded up much faster. :)

Here's a screenshot of the CCleaner. Don't know whether to disable the highlighted Sonic updater as well, perhaps some additional ones? Thank you so much.

Attached Files:

6. DavidGP

Hi oma

Yes I would loose the Sonic Updater too.

Also when any of those applications are updated at any time with newer versions, do revisit that CCleaner page and disable them again, virtually all applications re-add their updaters etc to the startup again.

I'm glad they added this new startup options in CCleaner as many folk have this app installed so its not like your having to install another unnecassary application, many tasks can eb done via this one application, which is why I also mentioned Windows Defender as its startup manager is little known about but works ok also.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds