Startup stuck in Hibernation Resume! Can't access bios

Discussion in 'Software' started by ej1245, Nov 9, 2008.

1. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

Hi, I'm trying to fix a Medion (Vista) laptop that appears to be stuck in hibernation resume. On startup you see a banner below stating its resuming from hibernation, then it asked for a password (which she doesn't know) I tried restarting without battery, reseated memory, held down power button with battery out and power unplugged, still can't get it out of hibernation resume to even boot from cd or anything! I want to try a vistape disc to reset any passwords, but can't get to the bios! help! f8 doesn't work either :confused:

2. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

i once worked on a toshiba laptop that had a similar problem it was stuck in a hibernation loop. after two days and a lot of persistence and patience continually switching it off and on and pressing the F8 key i was finally able to get into safe mode and shut down the hibernation module by going through control panel power management options.as it turned out after running several scans the laptop was riddled with viruses and i mean riddled,i have never seen so many on one pc.the fact that i am obsessive compulsive and once i start something i can't stop until its finished probably helped if i wasn't i would have just thrown it in the bin.sorry i can't help you with much more than that.

3. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

Well, I've been repeatedly doing like you did, no luck. I took the hard drive out and put it in a usb adapter and plugged it into a xp machine then I ran a password recovery program, it looks like the only thing on the drive is a few folders in the recycle bin - AMI bios! I wonder if someone tried to flash it and failed. The lady it belongs to doesn't seem capable. Did you get a setup password request too when it was resuming from hibernate?

4. iwunderdownunder

no sorry there was no password protection on this laptop i was probably lucky in that respect.the bloke who own it wasn't that computer savvy,he had been running it on then net for about a year with out any firewall or antivirus protection and one day it choked and just kept restarting and going into hibernation constantly.

5. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

This in a medion (strange brand??) amd 64 bit, I thought of pulling the cmos battery to see if that will reset it (taking out the hard drive didn't even change a thing) but I don't want to pull the keyboard off, blah. Theres no viruses on the drive either. Guess I'm stuck:(

6. iwunderdownunder

i read in another thread here early about if you take out the cmos battery that's the one on the motherboard if i am correct and hold down the power button for a certain amount of time it will reset any passwords on the cp i am not sure i know a bit about software enough to keep me out of trouble you might want to google it and see what you can find out about this procedure on the net

7. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

yes, I've done it many times on desktops, but on a laptop you usually have to remove the keyboard, not something I like to do, I'd have to have her sign a release before I go that far, those things are so fragile. I'm pretty convinced its a bios issue, wish I knew what brand the MB was, I would just flash it myself. thanks for your help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds