Static Dust Collector?

Discussion in 'Software' started by spanktastic2120, Feb 17, 2011.

1. spanktastic2120

spanktastic2120 Corporal

My room gets really dusty, and it is a huge pain to dust it. Computers seem to have an affinity for the stuff as well and i have to clean out the caked on dust from my case every couple months or so.
    My plan to fix this is rig up some kind of electrical device that will attract all the dust via a static charge and maybe a fan or two, and then i could just wipe that down with a wet cloth.
    Does anyone know how to rig up something like this?
    How have you solved your own dust problems?

I am open to any tips or advice.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Dust a bane of PC users, but a few questions come out in....

1. Is your locatity dusty to start with, dry humid area and this affects your home?
    2. What location is your PC is it on the floor and is the floor carpet, tiles or wood etc?
    3. Does your case have filters in front of the case fans?

Personally my case is off the floor and our weather is mainly damp most of year with a dryish humid summer for not more than a few months a year, the case has air filters in front of the fans to capture dust and thats easily vaccumed out periodically.

Fans external to the PC will only create more dust IMHO.

Kinda thought that in theory you could use a de-ionizer in a room with a home PC to de-static the air, it may help, not tested this out. There are Anti-Static Guns (Piezo Crystals), but they are not really that cheap and I wonder on their effectiveness.

Dont think you will ever stop dust in a PC, you can just lessen it, but as I know a few members here are very electrically charged mind wise I'm hoping they will jump in with personal opinions, over the ubiquitous googled ones as I may have questions as a follow up as well as you.

3. spanktastic2120

spanktastic2120 Corporal

i live in florida where it is humid all year.
    and the project isnt about eliminating dust just in the computer, but in the whole room.
    i want to be able to pull it out of the air and collect it on some kind of statically charged plate that can simply be wiped off after enough accumulates.

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Check at the local hospitals and inquire about what they use for their operating rooms.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

6. spanktastic2120

spanktastic2120 Corporal

that seems like exactly what i want.
    now the question is, how do i make one?

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

8. spanktastic2120

spanktastic2120 Corporal

looks awesome, thanks

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yeah hence my asking about flooring?

De-ionising the room is likely as I originally thought is your likely best solution, but as you mentioned A computer then location of PC is a crucial point as it may add or detract the dust issue, I have been toying with PC cooling and room temp and dust for years, seem to have it at a min now, but you will never have zero dust unless you can afford to build a clean room!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds