Static electricity issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KingSteve, Dec 8, 2008.

1. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

I have a computer lab at the campus i admin. It seems that there is a problem with static and im looking for a way to remedy this. its going to cause a lot of problems so im trying to find a quick way to fix this. every computer in the computer lab reboots when i even touch any metal on the computer, specifically the usb port with a flash drive or even my finger, if im not grounded. when i touch the metal on the desk then touch the usb port its fine. any ideas how to get rid of this problem? students use this lab and i highly doubt any of them will actually find some metal to ground themselves before using a flash drive.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

3. Felixmagician

Felixmagician Private E-2

Sorry, but....ROFL :-D

Are you sure it's not just you? Some people are known to carry a high voltage all the time ;)

Ok, jokes aside...you mean that EVERY computer reboots when you touch just one of them? That doesnt make any sense, they are not wired together are they? I mean they are connected to a server?

Do you get a zap from the computer when touching it? I think the case should act like a Faraday's cage and protect the insides.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Felixmagician has valid point. Perhaps you should ask others to connect a flash drive and see whether this happens consistently, regardless of user.

Eh, wrong interpretation there, I'm sure.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Another idea, based on previous discussion where you confirmed this problem does not happen with rear ports. Cover the front ports (duct tape, I guess), and run a USB extension cable from a rear port. These cables are inexpensive but I imagine some risk of theft could be a problem. One source of cables:
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=1&name=Cables

6. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

It isnt just me as i was the person that got the complaint, i just confirmed it. its winter in minnesota, and humidity is very low.
    obviously no, all the computers do not reboot when i touch just one of them.
    i admin a domain, so yes there are servers on campus. nothing to do with the problem though
    the computer doesnt zap me, i apparently zap it with static which causes it to reboot.

7. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

ill check into some static mats. i was also told that i can mist the carpet with a 50:50 solution of laundry detergent and water. not sure if thats true or not though.

8. Felixmagician

There's a carpet in your computer lab? I think that's a big no no. That pretty much explains the problem, although I still think the case should protect the components. It's probably a probelm in that certain type of casing?

9. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Yeah i know, but theres nothing i can really do about that. the whole room is carpeted. im going to look in to getting some anti static mats hopefully. i almost fried the damn cmos battery just now. static is a killer.

10. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

11. Felixmagician

I might have a solution:
    Anti-static wrist straps for all users + soak the carpet in the detergent/soap combo. Also wrap the cases in duct tape. :-D

I hope you don't get mad, I couldnt help it. Peace everyone. :wave

12. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

:-D man i know its kind of a messed up question. It is something i have to get figured out though before i have to hear about it again. i just dont know the best way to handle it especially since its not my computer and i cant sit in there all day instructing people to touch something metal before using a flash drive or something. Its a crappy problem with no real clear solutions. i appreciate the humor though.

13. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

i use those when i actually work on hardware. this last time when i almost fried the battery was when i actually touched the usb port again with a flash drive. it rebooted and said cmos failure. all is well as far as that goes though.

i dont know what im going to do about this static problem though. thanks for all the suggestions though guys.

14. Dacads

Dacads Corporal

15. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

to avoid confusion, this isnt for when i work on computer hardware. the problem is when students try to plug a flash drive in a usb port on the student accessible lab computers and they are not grounded.

16. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

17. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

KingSteve, you might be looking at a grounding problem, not a static problem. Almost sounds like you've got a floating ground or something going on - wouldn't hurt to get an electrician to look at your wiring.

18. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

And who decided to pair a carpeted room with lots of electronics?
    Couldn't they have seen this coming?

19. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Great point, hrlow2! ;)

It's all about difference of potential. I once had a florescent fixture in a fire house that was constantly blowing bulbs - turns out the "ground" was running at about 50 volts.

Electricity works the same way all of the time, be it static, constant, stored, whatever. Get rid of what's causing that change in difference of potential, and you solve the problem.

Easy, huh?! :-D

20. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi,

Caliban has the best idea. First thing with a problem like that is to make sure the computers are all plugged into grounded outlet. I've seen many cases where 3 wire outlets were used but were the non grounding type and no ground (Green) wire was run. Mostly today the conduit is used for the ground with auto grounding (strapped) outlets.

Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds