Static LAN address

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jnick, Oct 10, 2004.

1. jnick

jnick Private E-2

Hey guys,

I have a Linksys router, and was wondering if it is possible to set up a statice LAN address? Like every 3 days to a week our LAN address changes, and then I have to reconfigure some of the servers that we run.

I do NOT have a staic WAN IP address, but that doesn't matter in this case right? IT's possible to have a static LAN without a static WAN, correct?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Jnick

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Not sure exactly what you're saying. Your Linksys router's WAN side IP address is assigned by your ISP-- it can be dynamic or static. Your router's LAN side IP address is probably a factory default of 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, which can be changed, but most people rarely do so. You can certainly set your various PCs' IP addressed to static ones in their Network Connection properties. Make them 192.168.1.x (where x does not equal 1. Some other numbers cannot be used, but if you stick to, say 2 to 50, you'll be OK. And obviously no two machines can have the same number), with the same subnet mask-- 255.255.255.0. If you wish to remotely connect to a specific machine on your LAN from the internet, it's best to have that machine's IP static, as you will need to map a port to it in your router in order to be able to connect to it.

3. jnick

jnick Private E-2

Let me clarify.

My computer WAS assigned to 192.168.1.100. My other computer was assigned to .101

Then it jumped around, and I was assigned to 101 and the other computer was 100.

Then it went to me being 103 and the other computer being 100.

Then it switched again to me being 100 and the other computer being 103.

Now finally I'm 104 and the other computer is 105.

My question is, is there anyway that I can ALWAYS set my computer to be 192.168.1.100 and the other computer to be 192.168.1.101?

Thank you.

Jnick

4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Yes, just as I described in my previous post. In the TCP/IP Properties of the LAN Connection for each machine, rather than Obtain an IP address Automatically, choose Use the following IP address and enter the parameters you desire. Make the Default Gateway and the Preferred DNS Server the LAN IP address of your router.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds