status code -1073741482 in WinXP

Discussion in 'Software' started by jack of all trades, Jul 3, 2010.

1. jack of all trades

jack of all trades Private E-2

I am caught apparently by the worm that prevents me from booting my son's computer.
    This computer has been mostly idle since last fall when he started using the laptop his school supplied, hence why I am just now addressing what seems to have been quite a problem last September.

Early in booting, I get the message that System32\services.exe stopped running unexpectedly and gives me status code -1073741482

I had first tried my standard litany of Restore to Last Known Good Configuration and Safe Mode looking to use Restore Points, but could not get into either.

I then found the Mudwheeler thread here. And went into Directory Services Restore Mode for my first time to attempt the 'shutdown -a' step. But the computer hung up after the user logon screen with a black Safe Mode screen. Now when I attempt to enter Directory Services Restore Mode it cycles straight to a restart.

Help would be appreciated. Please keep in mind that my user name says it all....I have been through a lot of software (and hardware) issues over the last 15 years including some malware attacks, but please do not assume that I know what you are talking about.

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

What OS? Make/model? If you have malware you will need to go through the malware removal steps;

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

But first, you need to get booted at least into safe mode. The install programs for these scans can be saved to a CD or a flash drive and installed from there.

Can you boot from a install or recover disk and attempt a repair? This would at least allow you to start the procedures.

3. jack of all trades

jack of all trades Private E-2

thanks, brandy peppy,
    I put the OS in the title--WinXP
    The computer is 'homemade' and about two years old and middle of the road for the time (dual core, 2G RAM, etc.)
    My problem is that whatever is attacking the computer seems to have burrowed deep into the OS. And as I said, every portal I know to use--Safe Mode, Last Known Good Config, and now even Directory Services Restore Mode either hangs up on boot or goes straight to a Restart.
    I have read through the Malware Removal post from Chaslang and have downloaded all the recommended cleaners onto a clean computer, but I can not (or do not know how) to get the infected computer to a point where I can install the Malware.
    Open to ideas.....

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

You need to get this computer booted to run any scans.

What about booting from the install disk, that you should have because you built this.

You may be given an option for a "repair".

Do you have the Microsoft Recovery Console installed? Sounds like you don't as this should be given as a boot option. But it should be on the install CD.

Then see this MS article;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

You would first have to access BIOS and set the boot sequence ti CD/DVD first. To access, see this article;

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/accessbios.htm

Sorry, I don't usually like to answer questions with a bunch of links, but, though not difficult to do, both instructions are fairly long. Fixboot and fixmbr are the two commands I would try.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As brandypeepy says fixboot, and fixmbr should help it, if a boot virus is there,- sometimes when the computer starts it will skip very quickly past the prompt to boot from cd- Usually f10/f12 for boot menu, butlook as screen starts up, as it will say something like f2 to Bios, f12 boot options, and you then choose the cd as first device, either by clicking on thee first boot device to give an option to move up, or, down to change boot priority.
    The fixboot and fixmbr are on the firt option to repair- using command prompt- at the flashing cursor C; Prompt, type in fixboot, then press enter, then type in fixmbr and press enter, then allow to reboot- don't press any key to start from cd rom, and see if it boots into window- personally, if it does not, I would format and re-install, as its quicker, and you know its clean- others want to fight it- if you have some data to save, yes by all means fight, but if not- format, and re=-install.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds