Still having problems installing older games

Discussion in 'Software' started by DallasRaines42, Aug 14, 2004.

1. DallasRaines42

DallasRaines42 Private First Class

Okay, I still have yet to resolve this issue. I am trying to install some older PC games that used to run on this machine before a reinstallation of windows. I am running Windows 2000 (5.00.2195) with Service Pack 4 and DirectX 9.0c. The game I am trying to make work and having trouble with is the original Fallout, which makes me think that my problem is with backwards-compliance as opposed to having the latest updates... I tried using Compatability mode in win95, win98 and winNT, all to no avail. Please, any advice? this is very frusterating!

2. DallasRaines42

DallasRaines42 Private First Class

Still no ideas? This is really frustrating, I'm trying everything I can think of! I was right in the middle of a game when I had to reinstall, and It worked fine before, so I know this has to be doable!

3. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Hello there,
    It's a sad fact that very many old programs (games or otherwise) will not work in the more modern Windows OS's. I have a whole stack of old 3.1 era goodies that are now dead in the water. Solution - buy a old computer and reinstall and run from that. The oldies are freely and cheaply available.All you need is the space for another computer. Another solution is to create another division on your hard drive and install the OS that will handle the oldies. I am sure it is possible but am not expertised enough in XP yet to be able to advise how
    Cheers
    Robert

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds