Stock Q6600 HS/F speed needed.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by augiedoggie, Sep 30, 2010.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

A bit of background, Q6600 was doing fine @ 2.7 GHz with a pair of OC'd 9800GTs and all running @ %100. Early this morning my power bar decided to trip, probably the power went out and both machines were booting at the same time I assume thereby tripping the crappy power bar.

Since that happened, I had to under-clock the CPU to its lowest @1.8GHz and its doing fine being basically idle and @ 55C. The CPU fan is running @ about 1900 RPM, both in SIW and speedfan. What I can't understand is why did the fan apparently crap out If it did but all my OCCT tests point to a crappy fan, took 4 minutes to reach 95C!

I've had a heck of a time finding any info on Q6600 fan speeds, even at Intel!rolleyes I need a kind soul to check their fan speeds please.:)

2. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

In your overcloking, at the moment you aren't using it, i mean is @ 1.8 isn't?

So, if OCCT is giving a heat warning the best that you can do is test it manually, i mean open the CPU and check the fan is working right.

In a reboot like power out any could happen and maybe broken something.

Also, did you tried to read parameters with another tools?
    Speecy maybe?

3. augiedoggie

Yup, underclocked @ 1.8GHz and the fan is spinning but as I just found out it should have an RPM of 3200 and not 1900.

Anyways, it seems that I have two issues going on ATM, as yesterday I was able to load up both GPU's and all was fine until I rebooted this AM as now I can only run one GPU @ %100.

This leads me to believe that it's my PSU, which I knew was somewhat borderline when I added my 2nd 9800GT but it worked ATT.:-o Now, two years later it seems my excellent Antec EarthWatts 500W is finally degrading.

I've been meaning to get a new PSU for the longest time but things kept 'cropping up'!:-D At least the Antec will find a new home in my X2 machine.:)

Maybe I can find a 'duo-combo' deal on the PSU and HS/F as this Q6600 machine has not seen its last days yet!:wine

BTW, mobo is a P5Q-Pro

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  4. augiedoggie

Forget even running one GPU, it just crapped out too. :cry Oh well, the room will be cooler now.:-D

5. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

But it's normal to slowdown the revolutions to 1900, because the processor isn't overheating as before when was overcloked.

It could be that the normal speed of the fan is 1900 and 3200 RPM when is overcloaked.

About the PSU, i guess you decided about it.

6. augiedoggie

Nope, the fan doesn't even speed up when I just bring it back to stock which crashes. I've got problems.;)

7. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

I see, well that's all for now i guess, i mean, i don't know much about overcloking.

If i think anything else i'll let you know.

Cheers.:zzz

8. augiedoggie

Well, found out from a friend that the HS/F should run @ around 2500 RPM with Q-Fan off(=reduced fan speed when not needed). Bought the following:

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

Good reviews and price, they even include some TIM! Nice of them eh?;) The thing is huge but if my case has to remain sideless because it's too tall then so be it. Case is a CM690 mid-tower.

CORSAIR Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600W ATX12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply

I'm not going to buy anymore super power hungry GPU cards for the forseeable future so this should do well for me.

9. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

güt :) bueno :) good :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds