Stolen Wii

Discussion in 'Software' started by PhilBinAZ, Apr 16, 2010.

1. PhilBinAZ

PhilBinAZ Private E-2

Our system was also stolen. Nintendo told me they know where it is but they need a subpoena. I guess the Police here in Arizona are too busy to at least try. Sad because it could stop someone else from being in our position. If they did this when I provided them with this info we may have recovered some of our stolen items. Stolen memories.
    Finally, the Geek Squad at Best Buy have informed me that anyone can bring a laptop and have it "opened" if it is password protected as mine was. NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!! Huh??? Nope, not even an I.D. So I wonder if they know they are Aiding in a burglary.

Phil B in AZ

2. silas

silas MajorGeek

Anyone can bring in a computer.. even the person that stole it.. can bring it in and show "ID" and ask for it to be open and by pass the passwords. Sorry that it got taken. Many people steal from others.. But just be careful next time.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Have you gained a subpoena for the Wii? as for PCs, well its difficult to prove ownership in many cases, places like Best Buy etc will just take it on trust that if you bring in a PC, its yours! is it right.... possibly not as if wanting to recover a passowrd to gain access to the PC then alarm bells should ring to check proof of ownership or at last try too before resetting the main system password.

4. PhilBinAZ

PhilBinAZ Private E-2

Nintendo states that the Police have to do all the work. I can only request they do. But as I said they must be too busy. As for the stolen computer, it would help if they (Best Buy) kept a log of some kind. Then every month send it to the Pawn Division of the local P.D. They compare it to their records and you may recover one or two. A person who really owns the computer will have no problem providing an I.D.

Even with Ebay, they request VINs on all vehicles. Why not a serial number on all electronic items. It could only help.

Then there is Craigslist. The fencing capital of the internet. Sellers should be required to include the serial number. But people have lost their lives from ads on that site, so they wouldn't care. Sad...

PjB

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds