STOP: c0000021a fatal system error

Discussion in 'Software' started by amberH, Apr 11, 2011.

1. amberH

amberH Private E-2

Hello,

I've been working with someone in the Malware Removal forum.
    After completing several steps yesterday, and powering the PC down for the night, I now get the following error:

STOP: c000021a {fatal system error}
    The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0X0000005 (0X0000000 0X0000000).
    The system has been shut down.

Thia PC is running XP Media Centre Edition 2002 SP 3.

Please help!

Thanks!
    Amber

2. amberH

amberH Private E-2

Sorry - I should add that 'last known good configuration' doesn't work, and I can't boot into safe mode.

:)
    Amber

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Amber, this could be a tricky one ;)
    Keep trying the Last known good configuration, at least 10 times, you might get lucky. While you're doing that, I'll try to figure out the best route to get you up and running.

Do you have the original install CD? Is it SP3?

4. amberH

amberH Private E-2

Last known good configuration never worked.

I did finally fix it by expanding the winlogon.exe file from my CD.

Thanks,
    Amber

5. amberH

amberH Private E-2

I'm assuming other critical files were removed in the malware cleanup.
    Now the PC will boot again, but in regular mode or safe mode - as soon as Windows starts up I get an error:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
    If I click 'Don't send error report' - I never get any further - Windows never finished loading.

Please help!

Amber

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Ok, you did fine, I'm assuming you booted from the Windows CD into the Recovery Console to expand the Winlogon.exe? It now reads like you're failing during the following phase:
    It's not easy trying to second guess what's causing the crash in the process here, first thing is to check that the Winlogon extracted from the CD is at SP3 level, if it's below that, it will need replacing (again) by the correct version before you can hope to boot further.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds