Stop: c00021a {Fatal System Error}

Discussion in 'Software' started by aclambert, Feb 16, 2007.

1. aclambert

aclambert Private E-2

My xp system was running fine when I rebooted because my taskbar had disappeared. I got an "unmountable boot volume" error. I ran the recovery control and then re-started. Now i have the above error with "a status of 0xc000135 (0x0000000 0x0000000). The system has been shut down

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

http://support.microsoft.com/search...global&query=0xC0000135&adv=&mode=s&cat=False
    Check this link. You may (or may not) get something useful out of it. The last time I saw a PC with the 'unmountable boot volume' error, I had to reformat and reload WinXP.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/en-us
    Check this link for info about the Recovery Console and using 'fixboot' and/or 'fixmbr' for boot record or boot sector repair. A chkdsk may be helpful also; here's a link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265/en-us
    I hope some of this helps!!! Good Luck!!!!

hopperdave2000

3. aclambert

aclambert Private E-2

I will try those tips thanks. I did run the chkdsk /p and got the message with the fata, system error. If I reformat and reload windows xp will I lose all of the info saved on my hard drive?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yes, you lose all data. I'd try a chkdsk /r from recovery console before such an action, however.

5. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Like I said above, I HAD to reformat, a safe reload 'over-the-top' didn't work. If you need the data, you have a couple of options:
    1. Remove the hard drive and slave it to another PC and copy the data from there.
    2. Download and create the UBCD4Win (just Google 'UBCD4Win' and you'll find it). It's a bootable CD that loads to a WinXP-like environment that runs entirely from the CD (like Knoppix) and provides all kinds of utils, including burning options. UBCD4Win is also referred to as a BartPE or simply a PE disc. Anyway, you can boot to it and burn your data to CD from there.
    3. If you have another old HD laying around (2gb minimum), install XP to it and then slave your HD to it and save your data.
    4. Obtain an IDE-to-USB adapter ($20-$40 at PC stores) or an external enclosure and hook up your HD to it. Then simply plug it into a USB port on a functioning PC and copy/burn the data.
    There's another fairly complicated option involving creating a bootable USB thumb drive, but I can't find the links to the info right now.... if you want the info, post here and I'll track it down....
    As posted above, try the good ol' chkdsk /r and see if that helps.... GOOD LUCK!!! Let us know what happens....

hopperdave2000

BTW- UBCD4Win is a VERY handy and cool tool to have. Even if you decide not to use it now, sometime later when you have some time, check it out. It may seem a bit confusing at first, and you'll need an XP CD (preferably Service Pack 2), but it's TOTALLY worth the effort! Print the instructions and read them 3 or 4 times before attempting to create the CD.....

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

c00021a STOP errors seem to be popping up alot just lately, assocaited with antivirus changes.
    I am dealing with one cause by a recent installation of Kaspersky to XPpro. Would like to compare notes eventually.
    If private aclambert has access to a patition manager, either from a mag disk or MG, he can cut back the current C drive size, create a new extra one and then install a second copy of XP to use to work on the upset one. He will obviously only have 30 days to do this. Alternatively he can install a second copy of XP in C itself by choosing a different directory in C when in setup. To make these work Boot.ini also needs to be edited.

Studio T

7. aclambert

aclambert Private E-2

I ran the chkdsk /r also. the chkdsk /p sometimes showed a problem and sometimes didn't. However, I also ran the diagnostic disk that came with it - it is a dell dimension 4600c - and it gave ne an error message of:

SATA Disk S/N = 3JT47AZ6 - Read Test
    Error Code 0F00:0244
    msg block 6324272:uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

The rest of the test is still running

Does anyone know what may have caused this to happen? Thanks for all the help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds