Stop Running This Script? message

Discussion in 'Software' started by Denise_M, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi,

When I'm at a certain site, I keep getting this error message "Stop running this script? A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive." I wouldn't mind it if I could click Yes and then continue but it takes about 10 seconds to first give me the message, about 10 seconds after I click Yes, then 10 seconds to be able to type in the search box, then 10 seconds before I can click to the second box, each time giving me the same message.

It doesn't happen at any other site and I've run a number of malware programs with no problems except for a few cookies.

I've used this site extensively for years and never had this problem. It only started about 6 months ago and I can take it anymore! :mad
    I've asked friends and they don't have a problem at this site. I've tried on IE7 and IE8 and it does this on both versions.

Does anyone know what's going on? (Please don't tell me to use a different server)

Denise

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

You could disable script debugging. Simply:
    Click Tools, Internet options, advanced tab, uncheck "Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)".

More info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822521

3. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi TheeFool . . . thanks for. I wasn't able to use the microsoft site bacause of a message.

I'm running IE8 for XP x64 and sometimes IE7 for x64. I briefly read the pages centered on this problem and I want to think about which solution i'd like to use.

I'm going to finish trying the fixes at MS site tomorrow.

4. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

There is an option at Microsoft that somewhat helped the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260

I raised the None to halfway.

I no longer get the message but the website is very slow as if it's debugging the script in the background without sending me the error message. :(

5. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Do you have another brower installed? You could test to see if another browser would allow you to have a better experience. I have had similar problems with IE8 in XP. I wonder if the problems will increase now that IE10 is out??? Anyway, I switched to Opera a few years ago. The Opera development team has been pretty aggressive with performance issues, and it's nice to know that someone is working on the program unlike IE8, since it's sort of out of date...

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yeah, what I posted was a "work around" I haven't unchecked those options on my computer. But, I just use both firefox and chrome.

There is a "fix it": http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9643461 you could try.

7. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Yeah, that was the fix I tried and it kept asking me if I wanted to de-bug so I did a system restore.

I've tried a few other browsers but I keep going back to IE. Except for the few probs that I have with it, I like it the best.

8. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Add'l info . . . IE 9 is only available for Windows 7 x32 and x64, and Vista x32 and x64. I have XP Pro x64 and there isn't an update for it.

9. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Better info . . . I uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled it and it solved the problem. :)

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds