Stop showing file window when disk is inserted...

Discussion in 'Software' started by BK_Malik, Mar 31, 2010.

1. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

I have two DVD+-RW drives. Whenever I insert a disc into either one of them I get an Exporer window that pops up showing the files on the disc. I have already gone into properties on each drive and marked it for "take now action" on all file types but this hasn't stopped the problem. It's really annoying to have to close the window every time i put a disc in that's not blank. Can anyone help me stop this from happening?

Thanx!

2. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

3. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

4. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

5. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

g1lgam3sh,
    Nothing helped with the tweak either. I tried enabling and disabling autoplay, and matching the application to the drive.
    When I open the drive, the file window always pops up. Also when I insert the discs, the drive is not showing an application icon that I can double click on to start the disc, if I double click it just goes to the file window. I really need some instructions here. All I want is for the file window to stop popping up and to be able to start the disc playing with the application I choose when I double click on it.
    There is no "open with" option when I click on either drive. I don't know why this happened, everything was working fine and then all of this happened at once.

See attachments.

6. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

g1lgam3sh, forgot the attachments...

Attached Files:

7. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

This might work, I'll keep looking around

Go to Start then Run, type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll and press Enter or click OK
    See if that fixes the problem. If not do the following:

1. Start Registry Editor (Start then Run, type regedit and press Enter or click OK)
    2. Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in the registry if this problem occurs with folders:
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
      If this problem occurs with drives:
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    3. Click Modify on the Edit menu.
    4. Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    5. Quit Registry Editor.

8. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

EXcellent, thanks!!:clap The autorun of the Explorer window stopped. Now I need to get drives to recognize the discs I am inserting and associate programs for cd and dvd discs. Right now when I double click it just goes to the file window. There is no icon for the disc type inserted and they are not linked to any application.

PS. I tried doing the association with tweakui and it didn't work last time...

9. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

10. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

Can't use that, when I try to change the cd and dvd I can pick the application but when I click ok Apply is grayed out on the Folder Options window so the change never takes.

What do you think about Creative Element Power Tools? http://www.creativelement.com/powertools/#download

11. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Worth a try :)

12. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

Good deal, it's not doing exactly what I ask it too but close enough. Thanks:highfive

13. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

You're welcome :)

14. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

Sorry to bug you again with this but the utility stopped working almost right away. I'm back to going directly to the file window when I double click on either DVD drive and no icons for CD or DVD on either drive when they are inserted.

15. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

No problem, I'll take another look around, give me a couple of hours, I'm just about to start a workout,;) ouch

16. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

Ok, thanks again for your help:)

17. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

Can you still help me with this?

18. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

I think so, sorry mate family intervened and I got busy :)

19. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

No problem, I appreciate your time and effort. I have another problem that started at the same time and may be related, can you take a look at this post: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=213415

I'm not getting a lot of help with that problem, maybe you can solve it too (I do have the BIOS info now).

20. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

OK, try this. The extra step should solve this.

1. In the Folder's menu go to Tools/Folder Options...
    2. File Types tab
    3. Choose the file extension (ie, jpe, jpeg, jpg)
    4. Click on "Advanced" OR "Restore" then "Advanced"
    5. In Actions, choose "open", click on "edit"
    6. Click on "Browse" to choose the programme you want to open with.
    7. Click "Ok", "Ok" then "Close"

21. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

I've already done this about 20 times and it doesn't work on the drive. What I mean is that when I insert a disk after associating an application with Audio CD and DVD Video the icons that I chosse don't show up and when I double click the programs that associated with those two types won't open them. This used to be no problem. File types work fine but not those two. Actually no matter what type of disk I insert, it doesn't matter the applications that I have associated will not open with a double click, the double click takes me to the file window every time.

22. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

I assume you did the extra step? Ah well back to the drawing board. I'll keep looking, I'm intrigued now;)

23. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

Yes, I meant that I did the extra step at least 20 times.

24. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

Yes, I meant that I did the extra step at least 20 times. Sorry, I didn't mean to send this twice.

25. BK_Malik

BK_Malik Private E-2

Please help...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds