Stopping Yahoo IM auto-sign-in

Discussion in 'Software' started by DaveRM, Nov 21, 2014.

1. DaveRM

DaveRM Private First Class

I've recently installed Yahoo Instant Messenger (I had it long time ago, too, but then lost it in an upgrade).

Now, every time I start YIM it automatically logs me in, having obviously stored my username and password somewhere.

As this computer can be accessed by others, I don't want this!

How can I tell YIM, when I log out, to 'forget' my username & password?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Clear your Web Browser's cache. Everything - Temporary Internet Files, History, Cookies, Index.dat Files, Saved Passwords, etc.

3. DaveRM

OK - thanks.

I thought everything was cleared down in Firefox, but I'll double check the settings.

I imagined the setting would be something in YIM, rather than a browser

But thanks for the advice. I'll check it out later, and report back.

4. DaveRM

I've checked Firefox's settings, to clear down everything I can see - and also told it, manually, to Delete History.

Still, when I start YIM, it is 'pre-loaded' with my user-name and password, and immediately starts to log on.

This means, my messages, contacts, etc are not private - when others use this computer, if they start YIM, they immediately get access to my private stuff.

There's got to be a way to stop this.

5. Eldon

Try logging out. Then log in and uncheck anything relating to "Keep me logged in" or "Automatically log me in". Also check your Yahoo! account settings.

If it doesn't work, try CCleaner to clear the cache of Mozilla Firefox. I use it to clear the cache of Internet Explorer, and I have to re-log in everywhere.

6. DaveRM

Logged dout of YIM and back in - no change.

Run CCleaner - no change

I've gone through Messenger's 'Preferences' menu -

Sign Out of YM - 'when i close main window' - ticked, as is 'Always sign out everywhere'/

I do keep a history of conversations (only there's another problem there, thy don't show - but that's a minor thing, for me.)

'Privacy' - I don't see anything along the lines of 'Keep me/automatically - log me in' to untick.

So, sorry, no progress yet.

Thanks for trying, though.

7. Eldon

I have a Yahoo! account. And while I have not used Yahoo! Messenger, because of the difficulties with everything Yahoo!, I opened a Microsoft account (outlook.com). Sorry, this doesn't help you.

Here's a link to 'Help for Messenger 11.5'

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/messenger-11.5

I hope you find a solution.

8. DaveRM

Thanks for trying, Eldon.

Any chance this query could be escalated to someone who has more direct YIM expertise?

9. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You have a very self explanatory title for your thread (which is good). If someone sees this and knows the fix, I'm sure they'll respond. Other than that, there isn't a way to 'escalate this'.

Have you seen this?:

10. DaveRM

Yes, I've seen it - and I've checked my YIM - 'Automatically start Yahoo Messenger' is definitely deselected. Yet, it still automatically starts!! Grrrrr!

11. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Do you have ccleaner installed?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ccleaner_slim.html

If you don't try installing it (doing a custom install and unchecking any third party toolbar, etc. they may ask you to install). Go to Tools > Startup > Look for yahoomessenger and if it's there, highlight it and click Delete on the right.

12. DaveRM

I have CCleaner installed, and use it regularly.

I've done as you suggest - run CCleaner/Tools/Startup - checked all the tabs (Windows, Internet Explorer, Firefox etc) for YIM.

Under 'Firefox' tab there is an item 'Yahoo Application State Plugin'. As this is not obviously (to me) related to Messenger, I've left it 'Enabled'.

Nothing else Yahoo related that I can see.

13. Eldon

The only virus I ever had on my PC, taught me not every program that starts with Windows shows in System Configuration's Startup. Open Services.exe and look for Yahoo! Instant Messenger. If (hopefully) it's there, change the Startup type to manual. And (hopefully), YIM doesn't change it back to Automatic.

14. DaveRM

Thanks for staying with this.

Unfortunately, I need a little more help - I'm not as tech savvy as I might be!

'Open Services.exe and look for ...' is where I stumble. The nearest I've been able to get is to open Task Manager, and look under the 'Services' tab. That does show, as 'Running' something called 'YahooAUService' ('Yahoo Updater' as it's description).

15. Eldon

Just reread your original post. You have a problem with the automatic login. My mind changed Auto Login to Auto Startup. Changing Services won't help. Sorry. Did you look at the help? I posted a link.
    It seems like there was a problem but it should have been resolved a year ago. Do you have the latest version of the app?

Try contacting Yahoo! or visit the community.
    https://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index?sid=396546095

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  16. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

If it's auto login on yahoo messenger you need to sign out of your account and untick the boxes which are highlighted in the screenshot.

Attached Files:

17. DaveRM

OK guys - there's been some progress.

For various reasons, I decded to open another Yahnoo Messenger account. (I want to be able to communicate differently, with one group, compared with another.)

As soon as the second one was up-and-running, I find that neither start automoatically! Mebbe I've confused Yahoo, and if it can't decide which to open, it opens neither. Any way, 'Auto-Sign-in-on-Open' no longer happens.

One other interesting thing - when I sign off, the new YIM account minimises to the tray, the old one disappears completely. I can't see why, but its is no biggie - I can always kill it in the tray.

Thanks for your help, folks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds