Storage Space & Win 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by jim.flippin, Jun 15, 2013.

1. jim.flippin

jim.flippin Private E-2

Need advice. I've researched Storage Space in Win 8 and the gist is that Write's are slow. If there is anybody with experience, I would interested in their ex periences.
    I have two identical Fantom GreenDrives at 1.5 TB each (I know, greedy. But hey, the price was right). Now I'm contemplating setting them in in mirrored config. I would use them as data storage. apps are elsewhere.
    Now, the reality is that I very likely to work on a file many times before it is 'archived'. In the course where I'm working on file, do I have to go through a lengthily 'restore' process or can I just retrieve it and work on it?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Don't know where you gained that write speed in Windows 8 is slow? please post a link to the advice you gained as for one I would find it useful to know what was written.

For me personally and I use SSDs for main drives but I do have 3 other HDDs and WD Green drives for 1TB and 2TB sizes and they all work perfectly quick in Windows 8.

Below are my main drive an SSD and the storage drive I have as in a WD 2TB drive speeds, now I could have used RAID for main drive but in this instance I did not see the need, but it would have increased speeds a bit.

In total on my main desktop PC I have 3.5TB of storage space.

Attached Files:

• SSD.jpg
      SSD.jpg
      File size:
      89 KB
      Views:
    • HDD.jpg
      HDD.jpg
      File size:
      90.2 KB
      Views:
  3. jim.flippin

jim.flippin Private E-2

I got the impression regarding slow write speeds from a survey through various forums including MS Communities. I'm researching adding two Fantom external USB drives in some form of mirroring and the thing I need to know is how SSpace shows the contents of mirrored drives.
    I'm likely to retrieve file on a daily basis, so can I avoid a somewhat lengthy 'restore' process?
    A second question is I judt looked the UFeI boot screen and two USB drive show but Explorer doesn't show them. MultiCommander shows one and Cotrol Panel/Storage Space shows them. I'm somewhat confused. Are they attached or not? That implies that Exploer uses a slightly different tack on reading drives. The setup is I have Gearhead combo hub/card reader, 3 port USB to which the 2 Fantom drives are attached. I have no ability to cable them directly to the machine. A week ago I got an automatic update for Windows 8 64 bit and like magic they showed up in Explorer. I could see contents. Now they have vanished, leaving me in a state of confusion, a considerable confusion.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Green drives are the slowest wd drives that they make, you would be better served with not using external usb drives (usb is slow) and getting some nice fast 10k rpm drives or even the black edition drives with bigger cache.

5. jim.flippin

jim.flippin Private E-2

I thought about using a converting USB 3.0 on my PC to esata but have kinda put it on back burner since Fantom support stated the drives won't suppport more than about 100 Mps. So having a interface moving at 4.7 Gps will do no good. Bummer, if it worked (I located the necessary cables and convertor, they aren't expensive), it seems to me not worth it. And in the real world usb 2.0 speed is fine. I don't think I'llbr moving many file large enough where the extra speed will count.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

I guess im confused, sounded like your internal was too slow, so you wanted to add usb based storage? I guess i didn't understand your issue. Good luck!

9. jim.flippin

jim.flippin Private E-2

I guedd I had better clarify. I have as sitting in front of me 2 Fantom GreenDrives, they're are 1.5 TB each are interfaced via esata or usb2.The PC has usb 3.0 and 2.0 ports. If I want to I can get a dongle that is male type A on 1 side and esata on the other end. They are avaailble on Aanazon at ~ 5.00 for the dongle and ~10.00 for an esata cable. So it's definitely possible.Essentially usb3 can convert to esata and run at in-a-dream-world at 4.7 gig per second, considerably faster than usb2. I have the ability to purchase said dongle and cable. However it would be a waste since the drive won't handle the faster speed, limited to ~100 Mps. So the connection is faster but I'll never see the speed 'cause the drive can't handle 4.7 Gps .

What is frustrating is neither drive shows in File Explorer, while MultiCommander shows 1 and Storage Space in Control Panel shows both. Looking in the BIOS, they both are named as Fantom GreenDrives. Something is rotten in Denmark, as playwright noted. At this point I have no clue as to what is going on.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That is true of internal SATA hard disks as well. No mechanical hard disk can obtain full use of Sata II, or Sata III. Some don't even fully utilize Sata I.

4.7Gbps (gigabits) = 600MBps (megabytes). So you will get 1/6th of the speed of the bus with 100MBps (megabytes), but have full speed to that hard drive with the bottleneck being the hard drive. However, drives right and read at the same time, so the reality is that it will use a maximum of 200MBps if the drives can only write and read at 100 max.

USB 2 is at best 480Mbps (megabits) = 60MBps (megabytes). So your hard drive will be severely bottlenecked with USB 2. I'd want to /wrist being bottlnecked with an internal HDD, much less limited to 60MBps of BURST speeds for combined read and write. Now do you understand why using USB2 is a bigger waste than USB3 to eSATA?

If the drives do not show in File Explorer, then they are not initialized, need drivers, or the partitions are damaged.

This is my external drive via USB 3.0:

[​IMG]

I still prefer internal SSD though.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2013

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds