Storm worm botnet

Discussion in 'Software' started by _AnnA_, Feb 13, 2008.

1. _AnnA_

_AnnA_ Private E-2

I've been seeing a lot about this worm on the net and searched this forum for info on it. I just want to know how you would go about finding out if you have this worm. According to various news sources, trying to remove it results in immediate punishment from the worm. Apparently it changes something so antivirus never detects it and firewall lets it do what it wants. I know microsoft made a patch for this and I download every update, but it never really communicates with you so I don't know if it did scan and if it did, did it remove anything. They estimate 6 million pc's are a part of this botnet so the microsoft patch can't be foolproof. Is there a particular registry entry or something I can look at that would determine if this thing is on my pc?

2. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

If I am not mistaken that virus is also called nuwar and here is some info on that:
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_140835.htm

Either way, its a spambot. If infected, you'd see a lot of email being sent from your machine. A decent firewall should warn you of that.

3. _AnnA_

_AnnA_ Private E-2

I'm using win xp. My security is verizon security suite. It has real time a/v protection and firewall. I have all the latest patches from microsoft. I'm confident in my internet behaviour but I'm not the only one using this computer lol. I have a 16 yr old who insists on using limewire. How do I configure firewall to protect from p2p filesharing? I told her about the dangers of getting music that way and she said you can sorta tell from the file name if it's bad or not. SORTA?!?!

I should also mention i guess that I have a router as well. Still struggling to figure out how to use it to my benefit. Everything on their setup page where you go to change settings for router might as well be in chinese.

Only problem I have is whole pc is super slow but I think that's more to do with the fact that I'm seriously lacking in ram and my processes are ridiculous. Many of them verizon related so can't do anything about that. Currently going through all of them using the Daphne program I found here to determine what they are and can I end them.

**Edit: Just want to add that I do scan regularly for malware etc. I use verizon's, spybot, and just download free trial of trojan hunter. All seems clean. Trojan Hunter did say I had one trojan called index cleaner....must be a false positive, that is part of verizon's security suite. I deleted it anyway. No warnings from firewall that anything like email is being sent from pc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds