Strange Behaviour

Discussion in 'Software' started by BrandiniMP, Jul 21, 2009.

1. BrandiniMP

BrandiniMP Private E-2

Hey all,

Recently my pc has been acting a bit odd.

Sometimes, any explorer windows i have open act strangely, the menu bar vanishes and is either completely gone or is covered by the streched windows logo that is usually on the right corner of a explorer window, also when it starts acting weird, i cant open any programs, i just hear the error sound with no messages, ive done the usualy virus scans (Avast) and malware scans (Malwarebytes Anti-malware) and they've come up clean, also im unable to load new pages in Firefox they just come up blank (ff was running before the strange behavior) and my right click context menus mess up, sometimes i cant right click at all.

Could this problem be a RAM issue? or a DEP issue?

im running on Windows XP Pro SP3 x86

Thanks.

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Hello and welcome to MG's Brandini, me thinks you might have virus / malware problems that go deeper than you think, as i experienced the very same problems only about a week ago and bcos i thought i could clear it with my own resources it just got worse.

READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

So i suggest you click on this link i have given you and follow the instructions very carefully carrying out everything it tells you to. This will sort your problems out. :)

Rustyjack. ;)

3. BrandiniMP

BrandiniMP Private E-2

Ive already done exactly that, im a support technician so those are usually the first steps i take, since my first post i have also tested the RAM and it seems to be fine, the problem was occurring as i posted, i closed a few programs and it was fine, it was when my pagefile usage was reaching the 1.30GB mark, but since then ive gotten to over 2GB (out of 3GB) without any problems.

okay, as i was writing this post i went to have a quick look at my event log i did the usual, Right Click My Computer -> Manage, and my system immediately started acting strange, i just tried to open paint and it said "Unable to create empty document" i was going to post a couple of screenshots, but i am unable to, it seems totally random.

i cant open taskmanager either, it either gives me the error sound or my cursor goes into 'wait' mode with the sandtimer for like 1 second then nothing.

4. BrandiniMP

BrandiniMP Private E-2

right, my system is working normally again, not long after my last post, and i did manage to get a screenshot, while everything else was failing, print screen was still working.

i could only get one, this is of my computer with the menu messed up.

Attached Files:

• err.jpg
      err.jpg
      File size:
      60.3 KB
      Views:
  5. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Have you tried restarting in safe boot mode, see what happens then, or try running your scans in safe mode see if that makes a difference, or failing that trying safe mode with networking and see how your browser reacts.
    P.S BTW i'm only a novice compared to you and these are only suggestions and maybe youv'e already tried all these options but that is exactly what was happening to me and i ended up having to do the full R & RMF job on mine ! :)

6. BrandiniMP

BrandiniMP Private E-2

Thanks for your suggestions rustyjack, but its not possible to test it in safe mode as the problems seemingly occur randomly.

and it usually only happens when im on my computer doing something.

7. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

P.P.S I ended up finding a virus in some crap wallpaper i had downloaded so another suggestion check all your apps :) !

8. BrandiniMP

BrandiniMP Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds