Strange bios message with each reboot

Discussion in 'Software' started by TidaGuy, Jul 29, 2005.

1. TidaGuy

TidaGuy Private E-2

Note: Moderators, please redirect this post if in the wrong categorized forum.

Each time I startup my computer, when the black screen bios appears, I get these entries... every time:

C:\>Rem TShoot:C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~\VIRUSS~1\40~1.XX\scanpm.exe c:\

also:

@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE

The second entry I've seen on several computers before.... the first one however, is a mystery and I think it may be bogging down my system somewhat. When I was in Safe Mode earlier while defragging, I checked Msconfig and read that "a program could not be identified and because of this, the system switches it to MSDOS mode, which may cause lower computer performance" (in so many words). I tried to navigate to this supposed problem and found no NETWORK file at all in the COMMON files... navigation dead-ends there.

Any suggestions as to whether I can correct this (or need to) would be greatly appreciated. If more info is needed, let me know.

Windows 98 SE
    160 MB RAM

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

That first one is the McAfee Command Line Scanner for DOS.

Open a MS-DOS Prompt.
    type edit c:\autoexec.bat
    Rem TShoot:C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~\VIRUSS~1\40~1.XX\scanpm.exe c:\
    @IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE

Delete both lines.
    Save the autoexec.bat
    Exit the program.

That's it, when you reboot you won't see those lines anymore.

3. TidaGuy

TidaGuy Private E-2

Much appreciated! That took care of it. I do have another issue, and I'll post it here, but if it needs to be part of a new thread, let me know and I'll do so. In Device Manager I'm experiencing a conflict in the Sound Video and Game Controls category. Wave Device for Voice Modem is continually being duplicated for reasons unknown. I'm uncertain as to what this device does or if its even necessary to have, but the "good" one is running fine. The second one (the one in conflict) tells me "the drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)". I've tried disabling it, which works but its still a conflict. I've tried removing it several times, but on each reboot it regenerates itself. Any suggestions on this would be helpful...

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

If your Windows systems ever seems to go "haywire" looking for a Wave Device for Voice Modem (trying to install it but can't find it, or trying to install it every time you boot up your computer), this may be of some help:

The Driver is not part of your modem support files, and is not part of the sound card support files - the driver needed comes with Windows. If you are prompted for a file location when installing the wave driver for voice modem, you need to direct to your Windows CD or pre-load!

The Wave Device allows a voice modem to send and receive audio to the sound card via the system bus (no cable is needed between the modem and sound card).

The "Wave Device" installation is controlled by an .inf file supplied with your modem. If this .inf file has been removed, edited, or isn't the correct one for your modem, you may have a problem.

Additionally, the modem name (device %Serial.DeviceDesc%) in the .inf file must match exactly the modem name as appearing in ControlPanel->Modems. The .inf file will specify registry entries to be made (if your registry is damaged you may have a problem); and Microsoft drivers supplied with Windows95/98 will be required; if these Microsoft drivers are not already installed on your system, it will need to get them from either the original Microsoft Win95/98 CD or vendor pre-load to your hard drive. If you deleted these files, or don't have the original Microsoft CD, you may have difficulty.

The .inf file that controls the wave device installation:

LT Win Modem = ltwave.inf
    3Com/USR Winmodems = 3comwave.inf
    Rockwell/Conexant = wavrss.inf

5. TidaGuy

TidaGuy Private E-2

Thanks for the great info! Is there any way I can locate this .inf file? Also, here's some info that might or might not help. In Control Panel/Modems, I noticed there are apparently TWO modems installed in my computer (which is news to me... never installed a second modem). First one is named: DSI D-F-V V.90 D13635 and the second one is an identical name but with a #2 at the end. The port in the first one is COMMUNICATIONS PORT (COM1). The port in the second one is simply COM4. Again, why there are two "alleged" modems on my computer is a mystery to me, and I hope this bit of info proves useful.

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

COM1 and COM4 are actual the same port and only one can be in use at a time. Unistall the drivers for the modem, remove both modems and 'Wave Device fro Voice Modem' from the device manager, shutdown the computer. Physically remove the modem fromyour computer, reboot, make sure none of the devices are displayed in the device manager. Shut dow the computer, install the modem, reboot and install the drivers.

7. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Soory, not awake yet, need more coffee. COM 1&3, COM2&4 are the same, and only 1 ofweach can be in use at one time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds