Strange Bug...cursor jumps to where mouse points while typing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sean SMD, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Sean SMD

Sean SMD Private E-2

This is driving me buggy and I can't deal with it any more! :rolleyes: For 3 or 4 months my cursor has been jumping erratically to wherever my mouse happens to be pointing when I type. It happens the most in Outlook and Word but not limited to those programs. Maybe it only seems like it happens the most in those programs because I use them the most. Normally this happens every 15th - 20th key stroke but what is really strange is that it hasn’t happened once while typing this topic while normally it would have done it at least 2 or 3 times!!! Go figure!

I have searched the internet and found nothing! I don't think it's in a setting I am firmly convinced it's a bug of some sort.

If anyone has heard of this or knows how to get rid of it I would be eternally grateful!

2. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

First off......Welcome to Major Geeks.

What mouse are you using & what OS are you running?

3. fastacker

fastacker Private E-2

I had this problem with the touchpad on my laptop. Luckily, I can turn it off on my HP. When typing, the thumbs can ever so lightly tap the stupid touchpad and it repositions the typing to where the cursor was. Acts just like a left mouse click, 'cause that's what it is.

Before this machine, I had a Dell laptop and I actually taped carboard over the touchpad to keep from hitting the darn thing. There was no lockoff button on it.

4. TomaxBlade

TomaxBlade Private E-2

you can try disabling the touchpad or reducing the sensitivity.

Also -- it could be hardware failure. Is your laptop under warranty? You may want to call.

If not -- see if you can find documentation online about how to reseat keyboard & touchpad cables. Also see if it is related to touch or pressure in certain areas (certain keys, the palmrest, etc). Does it happen if you attach an external keyboard? If NOT, than you are most likely looking at hardware rather than a "bug".

5. Sean SMD

Sean SMD Private E-2

Thank you everyone for your your help! :)

Here is more info: :rolleyes:

XP SP2
    Compaq Presario 2100 Model 2135US
    Using external mouse (MS Intelemouse Optical) I've been using this modle of mouse since day 1 with this laptop. Mouse works fine with all other comps and laptops I own.

I have a lighted switch to turn off the touchpad but the touch pad still works with the switch off, always has.

I can't even findh the settingings for the touch pad. There used to be a setting for it now it seems to be gone altogether.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds