Strange email problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Feb 10, 2011.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have a PC here that I recently performed an upgrade from Vista to Win7 Home Premium (both 32bit). Everything on the PC works perfectly, except for the email. Outlook or Windows Mail or Windows Live is NOT being used. The email being is used is %username%@charter.net. I can log in to the main Charter page, but when I click on "Email", a new window opens, the Charter Search Powered By Google search box opens, and that's it. The window is blank. I can check other similar styles of email just fine, like Yahoo mail, Gmail, Hotmail, etc. These all work fine in Internet Explorer, it's just Charter Mail that opens to a basically blank window. However, if a different browser is used, I just tried Chrome, the email %username%@charter.net opens perfectly w/o problems. I used the "Reset" feature in IE and it made no difference. I've run CCleaner, MalwareBytes (nothing found), I've disabled Norton protection, I've changed all the security & privacy settings in IE, and still no luck. The folks at Charter "support" are of no help, they say "it's a problem with your browser".... Really? You don't say!

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

dlb,

While this may be of no help to you at all, Charter is also my ISP. Although I'm not running Vista or Win7 (XP) , I did try using Internet Explorer. Best that I can tell, they are using authentication and asking for a password for the email account. Does the computer in question have an email account set up with any of the Microsoft email software ( Outlook or Live Mail )? Only asking in that IE and the Microsoft email softwares tend to use the same settings. :)

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

They're using Charter.net email exactly the same way you'd use Gmail or Yahoo mail: go to www.charter.net (or www.yahoo.com or www.gmail.com), click on "email" or "log in" (or at Gmail you simply type in your email address and password), then you log in with your name and password. That's it. Every other type of web-based email works fine (Yahoo, Gmail, Excite, Hotmail, younameitmail, etc). On the main www.charter.net page, I can log-in just fine using the client's name and password, and the page says "welcome %username%". It's only when I click on the "check mail" or on the "email" buttons do things go wrong. A new window opens, and it's more-or-less empty. I've tried checking the client's email on other Win7 systems and it works fine, so it's just this one PC. I've tried Safe Mode w/ Networking and that doesn't work. I even copied the Internet Explorer folder from C:\Program Files on a PC where the email worked to this PC and it still didn't work. The Charter email works perfectly in Chrome and FireFox browsers, but the client does not to be forced in to using a different browser. I did the work, I was paid for it, and the system should run normally.
    :banghead

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Can we get a percentage of that payment?? rolleyes

5. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

dlb,

I did note in your previous post that none of the apps mentioned were being used after was it too late to edit, so I didn't! Did any of the other computers that you used to test this with have any of Microsofts email clients used? Only asking as you didn't say!

@ TimW, can we spit the cake? :)

6. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds