Strange FPS loss during games

Discussion in 'Software' started by RushSecond, Oct 29, 2008.

1. RushSecond

RushSecond Private E-2

Hi I have a problem that has been driving me nuts. I'm running on Vista, 1GB ram, AMD Turion 1.6 GHz processor, and for a year or so everything has been just fine. But recently, whenever I play a game, for some reason half the time it runs fine, and the other half it slows down to a crawl, making games literally unplayable. I thought it was malware so I made a post in the malware section, but chaslang took a look at my scan logs and assured me that it wasn't malware. I'm at a loss as to how to fix this, as my processes don't show any other programs taking up much memory. Is one of my processes taking up more memory then it shows, or is there some Vista service that is out to get me? I've attached a list of the processes I'm running, in case that helps at all. Please help me with this if you can.

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

This could be down to how many applications you maybe running in the background, things that startup with the PC and reside in the system tray, things like Google Talk, MSN Messenger, Updaters of various kinds, like Apple Quicktime, Java etc all of these take up ram and at times its not as if you'd be using them when playing games.

So close any running applications down when playing games, dont leave the likes of webpages open, Office applicaions open etc

So use CCleaner and click Tools > Startups and post a screenshot of the startups list as we maybe able to assist you un getting rid of what is junk in your startups.

What you could also try is and disconnect from the internet while doing this is to disable all your security applications and then try the game out.

3. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

At the bottom it notes that you're using nearly half your available physical memory. Do you have a seperate video card? If not then that's where the rest is going and why you're getting choppy FPS. I have the same problem.

4. RushSecond

RushSecond Private E-2

Ok here's a list of my startup programs

Attached Files:

5. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

You can turn off Adobe Speed Launcher, it's useless and just costs memory. The Quickstart for Open Office can probably go as well.

6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Turn off the QuickTime Task, Steam, and GoogleTalk as well.

7. RushSecond

RushSecond Private E-2

I turned all those off, still having slowdowns. Should I turn off more? (Is there any startup program I need all the time?) Or do you think it is something else.

8. RushSecond

RushSecond Private E-2

I also tried turning off windows vista aero theme and super-antispyware, the second and third most memory hogs, and I still have the problem. Is it possible this is a video card issue, like it is overheating?

9. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Yes, it is. Everest is a great program for checking on temperatures.

10. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

you might even want to downgrade to windows xp, vista is a system hog even though it does have some nice features, plus xp uses less memory then vista.;)

11. RushSecond

RushSecond Private E-2

Yay it's fixed! Everest showed it was running a lot hotter during slowdowns, so I tried propping up my laptop and setting a fan to run air underneath it, and the slowdowns are gone! Thanks everyone for you help!

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You'd have to prove this to me, with examples as I find its not with a decient PC spec and if you are relating hog to its use of ram then this is a misconception in how modern PCs should use available ram (unused ram is wasted ram), and I cannot wait for the hoohar when many get their hands on Windows 7 as I have a pre-beta of it and memory managment tells me I have 8mb free! out of 2GB ;)

RushSecond ~ Glad you found the cause, laptops do tend to get a bit hotter than their desktop conterparts and if temps hit a trigger level then most likely the CPU will enter thermal throttling and halve the CPU speed, to cool the CPU down, thus causing apps to go slower. You should also check the vents of the laptop for fluff and dust and some caned air is good to blow the dust that accumulates out as dust = heat build up as the components cannot cool effectively.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds