Strange hard drive setup in Sony Vaio! Help out, someone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sean12xu, Jul 7, 2010.

1. sean12xu

sean12xu Private E-2

Hi guys,

I've just popped open my Sony Vaio NR21J/S to put a new hard drive inside and my setup looks like this (sorry in advance for the bad quality images):

(IDE 40gb Hard Drive)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't fitted a hard drive before but have done a lot of research online before I finally gave in. The problem is my setup doesn't seem to look like anyone elses. I have the caddy and my new hard drive ready to go, but what is the circuit board piece for?

It slots nicely into the IDE slot on the mother board but it doesn't fit on the hard drive properly. As far as I knew it was a case of putting the new hard drive in the caddy, fastening it all and lining it up and sliding it in the IDE slot, but it won't fit which leads me to believe the circuit board must play a serious part (no sh*t Sherlock, I know)

If anyone could shed some light on exactly how I install this I'll be grateful.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds