Strange IE error

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Sep 5, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

WinXP Home SP3 - IE6 - when I launch IE, it opens the Yahoo home page just fine. I can surf just fine if I type search terms into the Yahoo search bar. For example: to get to Major Geeks, I'd have to type "majorgeeks.com" in the search bar, then click on one of the search results. That works fine. If I simply type "www.majorgeeks.com" in the IE address bar, I get the error you'll see attached below. I did some quick research, and all I've found so far is that this issue occurs primarily in IE7, and the "fix" is to uninstall back to IE6. Not an option in my scenario, obviously. Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

[dlb]
    :)

Attached Files:

2. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

try upgrading to ie7 or ie8.
    or firefox as i always suggest:cool

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It's not my PC, and the owner is noobish and I think Firefox would freek him out. I've considered installing IE7 or IE8, but I'm kind of waiting to see if any advice shows up here, and I'm still Googling the issue hoping for a remedy.....
    *fingers crossed*

EDIT- I just discovered that if I type a search term into one of the toolbars installed on this PC, I get the same error. IE has both the Yahoo and Google toolbars installed, and they produce the exact same result as typing a web page into the IE address bar. :confused :banghead

4. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

try changing the search defaults.

5. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hey dlb, i would try installing IE7/IE8 see if it fixes it and then uninstall it, reverting back to IE6...

I don't know why, but i bet penny to a pound it will fix it! ;)

Q

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I tried installing IE7 and it immediately errors out. No details at all. Just a big red "X" and the statement that "Installation is unable to continue. Please restart to undo any changes that were made". I suppose I could try IE8, but I think I'll try an OS repair install.....

7. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Sounds like a good plan to me....

This is a bizzare "bug" i've never heard of the sort before.

(And i believe i owe you a pound :p)

Q

8. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Sounds like a Windows problem, have you run SFC yet?

9. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah LOL sfc /scannow just finished about 10 minutes ago and made no difference. I'm now using Firefox and it works fine. I spoke to the owner of the PC and told him that his IE hosed and that FF is working fine, and he said he'd give the FF a shot for a few days and we'll see what happens..... so..... I guess we'll see what happens....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds