Strange message when trying to update Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sandytech, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Sandytech

Sandytech Private E-2

I am running Windows 7 with Avira anti-virus and CC cleaner. I just went through a lengthy session working with Chaslang in Malware to get rid of some residual garbage left by a "garbage program." The remaining issue is that I cannot update Windows 7, either automatically or manually and he suggested I chat with you after we cleared up the malware problems. I get this message:
    [Window Title]
    ::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\5\::{36EEF7DB-88AD-4E81-AD49-0E313F0C35F8}\pageSettings

[Content]
    Windows cannot find '::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\5\::{36EEF7DB-88AD-4E81-AD49-0E313F0C35F8}\pageSettings'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

[OK]

After checking history, I found I have not been able to apply any updates since September. I don't know whether this "garbage program" Reimage, caused this but I really need this fixed

2. Sandytech

Sandytech Private E-2

I forgot to add that after cleaning all the malware, I did try to update again by stopping the anti-virus and CC Cleaner to ensure they would not block anything and the updates still wouldn't happen.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Uninstall whatever security software you have installed for now and reboot, then follow the below.

As a first option try this FixIt tool HERE and see how you get on and if you get any error messages please do tell us what they are.

4. Sandytech

Sandytech Private E-2

I ran that and it said there were no problems. However, now I no longer have authority as administrator.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds