strange noises from my PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dukedren, Jan 21, 2006.

1. dukedren

dukedren Private E-2

hello, lately my PC makes strange noises, and not from the speakers, from the box itself. i opened it yesterday to check if some cables got into a fan but everything was fine. today and yesterday there were no noises, but a friend called and told me he has the same issue, if you know wat it is or wat to do please tell me. those noises are scary. :)
    thx in advance.

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

It sounds like you might have something in your computer that's about to go out on you, Sorry.

3. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Can you give a little more info on what the noise is?
    Hard drives can start clicking if they are about to go out-
    Fans can cause vibrations or bearings could be going out or have something in them-
    CD/DVD dives spin up and can make some godawful noises if they are going out-
    Have you cleaned the inside of the comp lately? Use canned air and make sure you are grounded.
    Side cover could be slightly loose and be vibrating.

4. dukedren

dukedren Private E-2

the noises are hard to describe, but those arent clicking noises and the cdrom is unplugged (and it was unplugged for months now). its something like when some paper is stuck inside a printer and it "chews" it. chewing noise, tehn some silence and then chewing noise again. then it stops.

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Does the chewing noise happen when the hard drive light on the front of the comp come on? If that's the case, the HD is about to go.
    Better get a new one quick and transfer info.

6. dukedren

dukedren Private E-2

it doesnt look like its the hard drive, if it was the hard drive i would hear those noises when i would play games that need to swap files when playing, and those noises happen randomly, even when the comp is on standby.
    EDIT: i play alot of demanding games like F.E.A.R.

7. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I'm pretty sure the hard drive platters are spinning all the time once you boot up and even if you are not accessing the info with the read/write heads, the spindle bearings could be going out. Can you unplug the drive and reboot to see if the noise is absent? Or do you have a spare drive to swap out?

8. dukedren

dukedren Private E-2

it doesnt happen too often, and in fact it was absent today, so if i will swap i wont see immediate effect anyway. thx anyway.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds