Strange Problem When Accessing Facebook

Discussion in 'Software' started by shalebing, May 12, 2016.

1. shalebing

shalebing Private E-2

Hi there - I hope this problem is acceptable to post here and that someone can perhaps shed some light on it or can suggest a more appropriate section of the forum to post it to.

Just the past couple of days I have been experiencing a strange problem when I access Facebook - either from a shortcut on my PC or when typing in the full URL. I first get a page full of gobbledegook (for want of a better word - please see attached JPG) but if I then either click refresh or use the F5 key I am taken to the proper Facebook page with no further problems, at least until I use the shortcut or URL again.

I have tried the following in an effort to eliminate this problem but have had no success:
    • Have deleted the shortcuts I have for Facebook and set them up again
    • Have run a Malwarebytes scan and a Kaspersky virus scan (no problems flagged up)
    • Have rebooted the PC numerous times
    It only appears to be accessing Facebook that this problem occurs or at least it hasn't shown up on any other site I have accessed.

My PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Attached Files:

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Have you tried a different web browser to see if the same thing happens - if not do that.

3. shalebing

shalebing Private E-2

Good point MaxTurner - I have been using Firefox for a number of years but just accessed Facebook a number of times using Chrome and had no problems. Maybe its time to move a way from Firefox.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Check that you have the most up to date version of Firefox (which is currently 46.0.1), also you may have a/some extension/s (Tools > Addons > Extensions) that are causing the problem.
    I use Fx with FB everyday with no issues.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  5. shalebing

shalebing Private E-2

Yes it is v46.0.1 I was using. I have had no previous issues with Firefox and Facebook and this peculiar behaviour only started this week. Any extensions will have been there for ages so shouldn't have suddenly caused this. I am now using Chrome and will see what happens from there.

6. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

I would recommend on trying using Cyberfox it's an off off brand of firefox but not one issue that i can find with it.And it can run tor as well.

https://cyberfox.8pecxstudios.com/

I would do a full wipe of your current browser to see if it will do the same thing in another browser.Now when you uninstall the program make sure you delete the Mozilla folder in the %appdata% folder.This will delete the whole thing.

And i would all so recommend on doing a full system scan.For any type of virus or malware.This sounds like it's on your end.I never got any thing like that from facebook.

7. shalebing

shalebing Private E-2

Thanks Coyote - I am using Chrome now as the problem doesn't show up with that. I did full virus and malware scans when the problem first manifested itself and everything was clear. The weird thing is that I'd been using Firefox and Facebook together quite happily for years with no problem and it only started this strange behaviour last week.

8. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Well chrome and firefox are basicly the same thing in a sense.So hope fully you will not run into the same problem with chrome.

Me honestly i really hate chrome it is about one of the worst web browsers out there.It sucks up to many resources.And it does not have the secuirty like firefox and other firefox a like does.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds