strange problem with xp repair

Discussion in 'Software' started by firestorm254, May 24, 2010.

1. firestorm254

firestorm254 Private E-2

Ok I have to repair a windows xp installation, but when I am supposed to hit R to repair it or select a different volume or partition it says Windows 98SE FAT 32 I do not have the option of repairing the installation, does it base the data on the volume label, if so will changing the label give it the Repair option? Yes windows XP is installed, for it booted earlier, but needs to be repaired after virus removal.

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Hmmm - that's a little weird.

So you are going for a repair install - i.e. an over-write of the operating system files - and not using the repair console?

3. firestorm254

firestorm254 Private E-2

A repair would take out any missing links thus getting many if not all of the problems, but I decided to put in a temporary hard drive to do a clean install and migrate the users files and programs over to the clean installation, then I can copy the hard drive back to the original total time was 45 minutes. I truly appreciate the help thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds