strange problem?

Discussion in 'Software' started by StingeR, Jun 29, 2003.

1. StingeR

StingeR Private E-2

i was running windows 98 se on my comp and it was running very well, i was running all my games bf1942, gta3 etc smoothly.
    then i decided it wwas about time i installed win xp. so i installed it on a seperate partition. i installed all the XP drivers for my hardware. but i was very disappointed! all my games ran slower ....they took longer in loading as well! what happened??? i tried changing my video card drivers but to no avail. i installed all my chipset drivers in sequence (as mentioned at intel web site) but no improvement. so my last chance is to turn to the experts here......what happened to my system? why has it slowed down? what can i do?

p.s. ( after the prob i cleaned my hardd drive and freshly installed win98se and then win xp on a seperate partition and then installed all the drivers in sequence, btu to no avail!!!)

my system is :
    2.0a ghz p4 on intel 845gbv mobo
    gf4 ti4200 with agp 8x
    256 MB ddr 266 ram
    60gb 7200 rpm seagate hard drive
    onboard audio
    cdrw and a cdrom
    WINXP SERVICE PACK 1 EDITION

so plz can anyone answer why has my performance and loading slowed down so much in Win XP as compared to Win 98se??? n what can i do to fix it

2. Romad317

Romad317 Private E-2

Yep, scouse, more memory in that system will speeds things up, but I would also worry that StingeR is installing XP on a second partition, with 98 as the primary, or XP as an upgrade. Both will cause less than optimal operation of the XP.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sp1 has not been pulled. Er?? If you are referring to Sp1 being replaced by SP1a, that is due to the Dept. of Justice. Sp1a differs in that the MS JVM is missing.

As for article 815411, look at the rewrite. It doesnt affect any of you at all. MS made the mistake of generalizing the article.

The problem affects an internal program not available to the public.

Any websites still reporting on this as being a problem affecting everyone with SP1 are incorrect and are looking silly about now...(PC World anyone?)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2003
  4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 815411
    Heap Algorithm Update for Atypically Large Heap Requests
    The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Enterprise Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
    Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002 SP1
    Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003

SYMPTOMS
    This fix in the Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2003 heap algorithm was released to better handle a particular atypical and uncommon sequence of heap requests by a private, internally developed program that is not commercially available. This program allocated and freed large chunks from the heap tens of thousands of times. The original scope and the size of the improvement for the particular program were mistakenly overstated in a prior version of this article based on an internal test application designed to reproduce the symptom, and is not relevant for any known programs or overall system performance. Typical Windows operation and common business, home, gaming and Internet programs will not be affected by this fix. It is not recommended that you use this fix except to address the specific program.
    CAUSE
    Windows XP SP1 and Windows Server 2003 contain a general purpose, well understood memory / heap algorithm that delivers fast performance for memory requests made from a broad spectrum of Windows programs. The performance of the algorithm in Windows has been evaluated with many industry benchmarks and by careful analysis of typical end-user operations. As with any general purpose algorithm, an atypical sequence of requests can be tailored. In this instance, the algorithm does not perform optimally. However, because such a sequence is not found in typical Windows programs or the system, you do not have to change the heap algorithm. Changing the heap algorithm does not provide for an improvement in system performance for most users and programs.

This hotfix provides a workaround in the heap algorithm to better handle a particular atypical and uncommon sequence of heap requests. The atypical request pattern was found in a custom-built program that does not bear much resemblance to the vast majority of other Windows programs in existence. The scope and the size of this hotfix is narrowly defined for this one particular program and the workaround has no benefit for the majority of programs or overall system performance.
    RESOLUTION
    A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This fix may receive additional testing to further ensure product quality. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 service pack that contains this fix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question.
    The English version of this fix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.Windows XP

Date Time Version Size File name
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    28-Feb-2003 19:05 5.1.2600.1177 654,336 Ntdll.dll

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002

28-Feb-2003 19:05 5.1.2600.1177 1,508,352 Ntdll.dll IA64
    28-Feb-2003 14:55 5.1.2600.1177 657,408 Wntdll.dll X86

Windows Server 2003

03-Jun-2003 14:30 5.2.3790.49 716,800 Ntdll.dll

Windows Server 2003 64-Bit Editions and Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003

03-Jun-2003 14:24 5.2.3790.49 1,524,224 Ntdll.dll IA64
    03-Jun-2003 14:30 5.2.3790.49 711,168 Wntdll.dll X86

STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.

Note This article was revised on 4/12/2003 to more accurately reflect the specific purpose and details of the fix. The original title of this article gave the false impression that this was a problem facing many, if not most, Windows XP users who installed SP1. In fact, the problem affects a very small number of customers who are using a privately designed program that exhibits behavior that the hotfix was created to address. (This article was previously published under the title: “Programs Run Slower After You Install Windows XP SP-1”. The contents of the hotfix itself have not changed, only the Knowledge Base documentation was revised for improved accuracy and clarity.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2003

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds