strange problems with bitmaps

Discussion in 'Software' started by luna_c666, Dec 2, 2005.

1. luna_c666

luna_c666 Private E-2

I recently re-installed win98 SE and for some strange reason I did not get MSpaint on my O/S, which I use for my rough art designs, so I opened my windows disc and found it manually, but now when I try to open a BMP file it opens the 'open with' window, and when I select 'always use this program...' it will not open, only to refresh the 'open with' window (if I don't check the box it opens...but that would be irritating to always have to do that). I realized the filetype BMP does not exist in folder options so I tried to create it, and thought it was successful, as the icon turned into the BMP icon, but when I double-clicked the file it gave the error message "Unable to locate file C:\My.bmp". What do I need to add to the fields in filetypes to avoid this message and straighten this mess out? Am I missing an important file perhaps?

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Paint is obviously not installed properly.

Try removing it completely, then use Add/Remove Window Components and reinstall it. (Not sure if that is the exact terminology as my memory on 98 SE is rusty)

3. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Insomniac is correct. Look in the Control Panel under Add/Remove Programs, click on the Windows Setup tab, click on Accessories and then Details. You will see Paint listed, check the box and hit OK.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds