Strange reg entry on slow PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, May 22, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

WinXP Home SP3 - Pentium3 1.1ghz - 512mb SDRAM PC133 - 80gb HD less than half full. Yeah, not great specs, but I've seen plenty of PCs with half those specs run 3 times faster than this PC. I have done all the maintenance stuff, all the virus/malware scans (nothing serious found, just some MyWeb stuff and tracking cookies), defrags, CCleaner, you name it. I've run full HD diagnostics, full RAM diagnostics, cleaned out a bunch of crapola (like a corrupt expired McAfee and 8 separate Java updates which I discussed in a different thread) and the PC is still really slow, slower than it should be. Everything runs OK, and it surfs really well considering how slow Windows runs when you're just poking around or opening the Control Panel. I was poking around in the registry just looking for something, anything that could be causing this slowness, and I found the reg entry which is attached as a screen shot below.... any thoughts or ideas on this entry? or the general slowness?

THANKS!
    :-D

Attached Files:

2. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

Hmm, That is weird. Um, backup your registry, and possibly see if removing it will fix the issue. Seems quite weird. Run an Autoruns (Sysinternals.com) and see if its starting at boot. Also, do you have any language packs installed?

Could that be the cause? Just a thought.

3. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

An "unknown" that I could find absolutely nothing on.

dr.m

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Ya know, I didn't even think about that! That's why I come to MG; for a different angle, a different view at something.... thanks.... I'll look at it tomorrow. :)
    That was one of the first things I did after finding it. (also see below)
    Yeah, me too. That's why I posted here at MG. It resembles malware, but nothing seems to be 'calling' it, and nothing is linked to it in any start ups anywhere (that I could find).

5. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

How about motherboard driver issues. I have seen older systems run like molasses until specific motherboard drivers are installed. I suspect corrupted or incomplete drivers may do the same. perhaps even without showing a mark in the Device Manager. Have you looked in the hidden section of Device Manager for Star Force drivers?

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

With that being in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and with random characters as names I would be tipping towards malware as they randomly generate unique file names that are not searchable for on the net, as each is unique named from possible same malware.

Would be runningthe malware read me guide and posting logs for the folks in malware to review, but could be just reminents of removed malware, thats doing nothing but still in registry, but also with the low specs of that PC, how many startups does it have?

In services if McAfee has been removed then are their any left over services from McAfee, I worked on a collegues laptop in work which was slow as sin and had an turion x64 cpu, so not slow, but I had to boot to safe mode to even allow me to get to add/remove in less than 20mins, found that a McAfee service was still resident and when removed the pc worked fine.

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm fairly adept at removing malware, and I follow the steps listed in the README guide on a regular basis, and everything is coming up clean. So I did back up the questionable key and manually remove it, and so far nothing bad has happened. The PC is still slower than it should be, but according to the PCs owner, I made it "much faster than it was". This is odd, because if it's faster now, it must have been PAINFULLY slow before. Anyway- he took it home, and was happy with it. He needed it for the weekend to do some business and taxes and whatnot but will be bringing it back soon for a full format and OS reload.
    Thanks for all the input and great suggestions! :-D

[dlb]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds