Strange Windows Update Occurance

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Jun 18, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Earlier today, I went to do the Windows Updates on 2 PC's. Both are running XP Home SP2 and had just recently been reformatted, reloaded, and activated, all in the past 10 days or so, and I was just now getting around to the updates. Anyway, upon trying to download and install the first updates, both PC's had error messages!!!! I wish I would have got some screen shots, but I didn't. So I clicked on the 'work-around' links that are sometimes provided, and even tho' the errors were different, the fixes were more or less the same: check your firewall settings, and check you security settings in IE for 'Trusted Sites or Zones'... I thought this was weird because I've done Windows Updates a billion times and NEVER had an error about the security settings or firewall settings. Neither PC had a firewall installed other than the built-in Windows firewall. So, one one PC, I just turned off the Windows firewall and that fixed it. On the other, turning off the firewall didn't work; I ended up having to add Windows Update to the list of trusted sites in IE! This is on a newly formatted PC! NO security settings had been altered since Windows was installed. VERY strange. Anyway, adding the updates to the trusted list fixed the 2nd PC. This post has become far too long and quite tiresome and boring.... just thought I'd share a strange occurance.... Windows.... you just never know, do ya'???? ;)

hd2k

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

While the above post was just a little story, I have now had problems with Windows update on 4 more PC's, and 2 of those were clean installs formatted and loaded yesterday. Is something up with the Windows update site? I've NEVER had so many errors (and different errors on each PC) when trying to update. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Some PC's with clean installs update fine, others get errors. Sometimes all I have to do is disable Windows firewall, other times I have to manually open some ports (443 and 80), and other times I have to manually re-register some .dlls via the command prompt. Does anyone have any idea what's up??? Is anyone else having Windows update problems? I read one other thread today where someone else is having similar troubles.... any ideas or thoughts on the subject will be appreciated.

hd2k

Maybe I'll just use AutoPatcher full time ;)

3. Ehh I don't Have an answer I cannt even find my Windows Download Folder But I cannot D/load ANY win Updated (71) Of them actually, Dasha

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds