Strange XP Taskbar...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jagdpanzer, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Jagdpanzer

Jagdpanzer Private First Class

It's an XP system with an AMD Athlon 2000+, 1Gb RAM, so on, so forth.

Trouble is, the taskbar is acting very weird. I can't see any of the programs on the taskbar, and the Quick Launch area doesn't have a right end like my computer's does. Thus, I can't see any taskbar items other than the task area and clock. There is also the Language bar thing, but it's on the other side.

Thanks,
    Josh

2. Jagdpanzer

Oh, and if I remove the Quick Launch, the whole taskbar disappears!

3. Jagdpanzer

Disabling the language bar had no effect, and we're having to Alt-Tab between windows...

4. Jagdpanzer

BTT, this is really simple, but I can't figure it out!

5. amhiser

amhiser Private E-2

I was having some nasty taskbar problems last week. Somebody told me to check out my monitor. Sure enough, it was my monitor. When I investigated further, my screen resolution settings were not favorable to the monitor. Once I reset the resolution, my taskbar was back to normal.

6. Jagdpanzer

You're thinking of the whole taskbar disappearing. This isn't the case. It's software.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

can you post a screenshot of what you see?

my first thoughts are similar to what amhiser said above but more in relation to the graphics card driver ( try to update the GFX card driver ) or malware in which case I would really run through this guide http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 just to rule malware out.

8. Jagdpanzer

Well, it's still kinda getting set up... we're uninstalling AOL and Google Desktop Search, and all the other crap.

For an idea of what I see:
    Look at your typical XP taskbar with the Quick Launch enabled. See the little bunch of dots on the right end of that? This comp-in-question doesn't have them.
    As for the taskbar disappearing, it looks like it's minimized but you can't make it stretch back up or reappear. You have to right-click and do properties and re-enable it.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

is lock the taskbar ticked?

yes uninstall all non essential apps but still run the guide in Malware as weird occurances liek this can be malware based in origin.

10. Jagdpanzer

Negatory, dude. I unlocked it and moved it around, trying to fix it.

(My mom at the moment --> :mad: )

And she's not wanting to do that malware check yet. I'm gonna take it over... or try and do Remote control on her comp if I have to >.>

I'll post once I've got the checks done... hope this works....
    (Thanks Halo! I shall return..)

11. Jagdpanzer

Still trying to figure it out.... scanned with everything, got a bunch of spyware out but no viruses... And it hasn'tt corrected... Yet.

12. Franklin

Franklin Corporal

13. Jagdpanzer

Damn, thanks Franklin, that fixed it!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds