streaming, download films

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skysarge, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I get from friends, relatives url's for U Tube, and similar sites, and am always looking for film clips, etc.of high speed action.
    I now find that watching films of high speed events such as racing, being on roller coasters, stunt or aerobatic flying is like watching very early movies with the jerky motion. Every few seconds it acts as though a brake was applied and changed the timing. Sometimes, they just stop, and then restart a few seconds later. Makes watching them difficult and often time consuming.
    I run XPPro/SP3 on a clone w Intel Pent4.
    My ISP is AT&T UVerse, the computer is connected wireless to the cable modem.
    Anyone have any thoughts as to what is doing this and if I can "cure" it?
    Thanks
    Sarge

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

What browser are you using? If Firefox, do you have the latest version? What version of Flash are you at? If Firefox, under Preferences, Advanced, is Hardware Acceleration checked? Try unchecking that, close Firefox and restart it. see if that improves the situation, it sometimes does...

Is it possible for you to connect via ethernet wire instead of wireless for testing?

Also enter About:config into the address bar and see what browser.sessionstore.interval is set to. if 15000, try increasing it to 70000, restart and try again...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Using FF as browser

OK

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

If, for some reason, your internet connection speed isn't sufficient to stream, you can simply allow the video to start to play, and then pause it and wait for it to buffer for a little bit before playing it.

5. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

:-o Excuse me, make that Tools > Options > Advanced.

OK, no wire. About how far away from the router are you? Any major obstructions in the way? Havea read here:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=256775

Do a test at speedtest.net and see if your speed is, and report back the numbers. Up, Down, and don't forget the Ping number. Do this a few times to get an average. Let it pick the best server to test for the first few times, and then select your own for a few tests. on the ones you pick, select them at a few hundred miles out or better...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds