Struggling GREATLY to Understand RAM Numbers...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grc123, Nov 8, 2011.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Please...if I must beg, I have no pride, or dignity left now, I am having UN-precedented trouble, problems etc. And this is question is in reference to a one (1) MONTH OLD (???) PC (Notebook?).

I would LIKE (am going to) attach a screenshot I captured, of the ACTUAL RAM installed in this machine.

If someone would be so kind (if anyone is able to) at least please tell me what the numbers "1Rx8", between 2GB, and PC3 - mean/stand-for, please?

If I could determine (HAVE determined) on the TOP-LINE, at the right-end what the numbers; "9-10-B1" (or 9-10-81??) after the "10600S" mean, please, I would actually be willing to pay - some of the money that I don't currently have, but I will get it, and PAY you................

It is my understanding that the bottom-line is the part number.

Thank you very much in advance - and I am dead serious about paying for this information . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Well, surprise surprise...the "GREAT ALMIGHTY WIN7" will NOT allow me (or is it MG??) to attach the picture I would LIKE to attach...and this is the one I "MUST" attach...or else DRAG OUT THE CAMERA AGAIN...CRACK-OPEN THE CASE OF THIS ONE MONTH OLD NOTEBOOK PC, TAKE THE PICTURE(S), upload (did I mention that this would be REPEATING the VERY SAME PROCEDURE/TASKS THAT I HAVE ALREADY PERFORMED !!!???!!!) I have TRIED renaming the pic - but NO-GO!!!) SO "THANKS" MG'S OR MICROSOFT of WHOMEVER THOUGHT-UP THIS STOOPIT "POLICY" I'LL SIMPLY HUNT-DOWN THE LINK BURIED WITHIN A THREAD HERE, SO...HAPPY HUNTING TO ME, EH!!!!???!!!!IT'S 4AM - YET AGAIN - AND I AM FIGHTING THIS STOOPIT TOUCHPAD, AND 64-BIT WIN7 HOME "PREMIUM, AND AN ANEMIC CPU, AND INSUFFICIENT RAM, AND NOT BEING ABLE TO "FIND"THE EXACT RAM THAT I NEED AND NOW MG'S TOO I GUESS I'VE GOT NOTHING BETTER TO DO ANYWAY....OH, EXCEPT TO SLEEP, THAT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

here we go...it's in posts # 2 and #7 of THIS THREAD --- http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=246634 - SINCE THE TECH WON'T ALLOW ME TO DO IT THE EASY - SIMPLE WAY.

Something tells me, that when I am LONG dead and LONG GONE,some geek in the year 2050-ish is going to say something to the effect; 'hmmm, old grc123 was RIGHT (CORRECT!!!) in his "OCCAM'S RAZOR" APPROACH TO ALL THaNGS ... SIMPLE IS "ALWAYS" BEST . . . Period.

3. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Glenn,
    Augie, advised you to RMA the machine.
    At the very least send it to- ASUS for the RAM upgrade. Mention the issues you are facing. Sure it (RAM) will cost extra as opposed to an in house job. Don't open this machine, it's brand new!

Cheers..

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Dear sikvik

There is a total of one (1), and only one screw, to remove to get to (access) the RAM ... I removed the screw (simple), and took a picture. I am perfectly capable of doing it one FINAL time (because then that would be the extent of it all as "opening it up" goes, and very simply/easily popping-in a stick of RAM...the clips are "right there"...very easy, very simple to do!

Everything seems to think I am completely stupid or helpless simply because I don't understand binary and what goes with all of that?!?

I have always worked with my hands, and am STILL...I remain QUITE capable of handling the physical-end of these things, even if I am, and will remain ignorant of how it all works on the "Intel-side" of things... :(

I have, and have been, EXPERIENCING and absorbing FAR TOO MUCH DEFEAT in my life as of late...I HAVE TO take this ONE THING (and ALL things) that I "CAN-DO" ... and DO IT/THEM! Please...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SUPPORT ME IN THIS!??! I can "not" afford the shipping, to "wherever" (??) ASUS is located. I only have disability pay now, and all the EXPENSIVE Holidays are coming...I have a little boy, and grandchildren to take care of, and help supply a Christmas, and a Thanksgiving for...

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I have ALWAYS installed my own RAM in my machines...it's a very simple process...and will be MUCH easier/simpler than the other work I will be attempting here on this farm tomorrow...rather, Today.

I've pulled a lot of computers apart, to salvage and "recycle" parts. I En~JOY doing physical, HANDS-ON things, as opposed to all this "virtualization" that's normally done around here . . .

6. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Let's all take a collective deep breath. :)
    1. What issues are you facing now?
    2. Win7 is very good with handling RAM, so don't use any software to free up any. Can't save RAM for a rainy day, period.
    3. Set your page file back to Windows default. Let Windows handle it.
    4. In Task Manager what is eating up the physical memory?
    5. Still using 15 Tabs on Firefox. If not, are things better?
    6. Still have memory issues if not using Firefox. I only mention because, augie had issues with Fx, and he had 8GB! Hope augie, will jump in here. Then again it's system to system and none are the same.
    7. Give us a screen shot of Task Manager after showing all users. Highest to lowest in memory and CPU usage. Do this after using the machine for 10-15 mins.

Back to question one. If you can just point wise, tell us exactly what issues you are facing.

Cheers..

7. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

In addition I have also seen a further 2 thread about the same issue

here
    &

here

Glen,

It isnt helpful to simply keep reposting the same question, reworded in different threads.

I have help in two threads and there is also a third thread which I hadnt seen so I shant be wasting time by repeating myself in this thread. I have reported the duplicate thread of this one to admin to get it removed.

Good luck with your RAM.

8. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Glen, please try to refrain from the over use of capitalising your letters. I don't know about others but I am finding it very hard to read. :) Not picking on you, just being honest. If you write more clearly without all those capitals people might be able to help you more easily.

9. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

a) The loss (100% complete - at times) of control over the "mouse" (touch-pad). I knew coming-into this machine that I might well have trouble with these (touch-pads) - from what I read of problems with this specific model online and due to my limited experience with these (portable/miniature machines) - I've always been (happily) a desktop user. Last but not least, I've lost a LOT in my hands due to two cervical-spine surgeries. Loss/degeneration of significant Fine/Small motor, dexterity, sensitivity, etc. I will order a USB mouse as soon as I can determine EXACTLY where and what RAM to purchase. Bundling the order of two items will save me money (very important - absolute necessity actually).
    b) "HANGING" screens causing absolute CHAOS!!! When I "CAN" move the mouse/cursor, and get where I want it/need it to "CLICK" (select) I find the page has not finished loading, and it JUMPS...and then I've clicked-on something else (WHICH CAN BE "DANGEROUS" to the HEALTH of a PC as you are well aware. I have clicked-on links that I absolutely would not have/should not have, But then it is TOO LATE!!! Another (sometimes "bad") page is loading, and I have to hustle to kill/close the new page. Alternatively, sometimes I will have clicked just as a page is JUMPING, and I have missed my mark, and click on dead-space. Not nearly the same problem as the first one, however, I will try again, now, to "hit the mark" and again the page will continue to load (JUMP), and again, and again...sometimes three, four - FIVE times, I have clicked, with no result, or, inevitably, with a bad result. I am "CHASING" buttons and links to take me where I want to go, to no avail...very time-consuming, and then it is just about this time when the pointer itself will SHOOT across the page...sometimes from one side of the screen all the way to the other - as if it's being "pulled" by a powerful magnetic force or some such...this is the HEIGHT of frustration, and time-consumption. It is, THE NUMBER ONE MOST FRUSTRATING, and annoying occurrence that could take place...bar NONE. Everything takes MUCH longer to get accomplished, if I get ANYTHING accomplished at all, that is. Enough about that...getting a headache just THINKING about it.

with na
    I can only speak my experience of one month (though lot so mileage in that month), but I have "not" found 7 to be any better (at all), to date, than Vista is, at handling RAM in this month I've owned 7 (on a brand new machine). Two different machines though...different CPU's and amounts of RAM so perhaps my comparison is "Apples vs. Oranges?

Again, and this could well be my ignorance of a Page-File System, but whenever I do that (allow Windows to manage), it has ALWAYS maintained the Initial Setting AND the MAX at "BELOW" what Windows ITSELF "Recommends" ...?? Either I don't understand it well enough, or that component is flawed...?

It's ALWAYS whichever browser I'm using...doesn't seem to matter whether I use Firefox (7, now), or Chrome, they both always keep more than 200,000K. running. Everything else pales in comparison
    I currently (right this very moment) have four (4) open in Firefox, but I often exceed 10, 12, sometimes close to 20 or even more when I get really rushed/busy.

Yes, I think I am, or I am at least definitely having "SOME" sort of issues". Three programs are "regularly" CRASHING ("Stopped Working" messages), and they are all three listed near the top of the Programs Menu (Paint, Notepad, and "Speccy") - I'll send a screenshot of that as well.
    Affirmative will do

?

And cheers to you too.

Attached Files:

10. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Glenn, on second thoughts, I'd return the machine for a different model. Considering the issues you are facing, ASUS should provide shipping costs both ways. You need to talk/mail to them and build a case. If the touchpad issue is inherent, they should recall. I think Madmal linked to the the same issues, in regards to this machine.. You have so many threads going it's confusing.

Cheers..

11. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

"Cheers"??? Oh my God no!?!

You guys have "got" to be kidding? "Now"? At this point?? We have put in all this work...come "this" far, to just dump it (me) by the road-side?? I have nothing left...I have no clue what to tell Asus now (other than to point them to this thread/threads...I am "spent" on this...I've slept 1 night in the last, i don't even know now - 4? 5?

Here is a "partial" response to the other gentleman..I just poured what remaining guts I have left into it:

[QUOTE=Tueur;1680014]In addition I have also seen a further 2 thread about the same issue
    here
    &
    here
    Glen,
    It isnt helpful to simply keep reposting the same question, reworded in different threads.
    I have help in two threads and there is also a third thread which I hadnt seen so I shant be wasting time by repeating myself in this thread. I have reported the duplicate thread of this one to admin to get it removed.

Good luck with your RAM.[/QUOTE]

You HAVE been helpful, "somewhat", to "some degree/extent".

I have been (verbally) grateful, thankful, appreciative...again very much so (to my notion) - further, perfectly polite. However...

What I have done, again, gratefully, thankfully, appreciatively, and also again, perfectly polite, is to attempt to keep my fingers to the figurative grindstone, in the most trying circumstances I have ever dealt with in a PC.

If I am, or feel/think/believe I am, only receiving partial answers, and/or not understanding, is it not logical that I would continue to ask, and reword/rephrase at that?

It's not as if I've been sending PM's to anyone, in fact, I only "thought/believed", that I was giving you a break from it (certainly attempting to?), trying to get you off the hook (granted, a hook I myself had/have created) and was/am struggling with in my effort(s) to understand or an "out", by "spreading it out" (so to speak)?

Though no "excuse", strong reasoning here (IMHO) is that I "have to" keep this "fresh". Further (and though obviously not at all your fault or problem), I, due to several factors, have managed (a total) of six hours sleep in the most recent 96 (hours).

I have absolutely had to mount a sustained, continued and ongoing effort, to get past "somewhat", "some degree" and, to an "extent"

If I don't keep this all "fresh", for me (and it remains a LOT, to me, to keep fresh), I may as well have never asked anything, and as for progress gained, that could all very well end-up water under the bridge.

I wrote more, but cut it...I am not trying to be offense (on the contrary), I am trying to get OUT of here with this problem...these problems - 100% of which is "mine".

I wrote more, but cut it, as I often don't realize how "wordy", or verbose I have run.

It seems as simple misunderstanding to me...I am exhausted, and trying to rush to get it solved, before I lose it all...because I will...I will lose every bit of this...there is no way at all I can remember all of this to speak to Asus about...I might as well give the machine away - and I saved for over a year to get this machine?

How can everyone abandon this...now, at this point?

I don't understand?

12. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Glenn the Trackpad issue seems to be inherent. :(
    Tueur, gave you solid advice in regards to RAM.

Catch some shut eye. Looks like you have been awake all night.
    G'nite... ZZZzzzzz

13. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

grc123, your computer is new correct? While it's new is the time to contact Asus about any quality issues. If they are going to be able to do anything for you you'll need to contact them before their grace period for returns or repairs expires. If you don't then you'll be stuck with the computer and you may not be happy with that decision. If you contact them they may have an update for you that solves many of your issues. There's a saying, "winners keep their winners and losers keep their losers". It means if this computer is a loser and you send it back, no matter how painful of a decision that is, you'll still be a winner. If you keep the loser that means you lose. (Occam's Razor with a twist of lime)

One last thing you may try. You may try adding a new account to your computer (Start> Control Panel> User Accounts> Add Or Remove User Account> Add User Account.
    Make it an standard account as opposed to an admin account.
    Restart your computer, log onto the new account.
    Does this fix anything? If yes then use the account and only use the other account to install programs and other admin type stuff. If no, then you may have issues that are beyond the scope of a peer to peer user forum.

14. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you...good stuff...certainly taking it under advisement.

As for ALL of the remainder of my "foofaraw" in what, a total of three (?) other posts/thread:

1. I apologize, plain and simple. I looked-back over some of what I had written this past day or two, and yes...I agree, it ("I"...my posts) became disjointed, more and more, further and further more confused and confusing, and I offer no excuse(s). None...not one.

There are, though, multiple-numerous (?) reasons (some of which I'm sure I'm not even conscious of), though none of which I'll waste any more of anyone's time by going-into - except to say that I am "not" well...and that is mind-boggling difficult for me to admit - for at least one reason that is very near/dear/personal to me.

I was wrong, that's that.

Last but not least, I've been here (MG'S) for several years now (and actually about two more than what is reflected in my "Join Date"), and (I just noticed) pushing upward of 2000 posts. Hardly any sort of "record(s)" (and not trying for any), however worth mentioning in the name of "historical context".

I am totally guessing here, but I'd be willing to bet (anything under $10), that one could count on one hand (two for certain) the number of threads I've been involved in here, in which I failed to display politeness and decorum - and expressed the words "please", and "thanks".

This outburst (of mine) is/was totally uncharacteristic. Anyone who has gotten to know me here knows this very well, as well.

15. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

*EDIT* (I HAD TO, after re-reading it....I am now well-in-excess of 100 hours, in which I have had a total of six hours sleep ~ (midnight Sun/Mon - 6AM Mon) ~ it looks like *CRAP*.
    Thanks.
    PS ~ I never said that Tueur's advice was not "solid."

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  16. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Hi glen

There are two points i would like to make.

1. by creating new threads for the same question you loose the history of the problem. if i had known that you were having performance issues and that your system was only three months old i would have said the same as everyone else. send it back. but because i couldnt see the whole history it appeared as though this was a simle ram upgrade. as a result i wasred a lot of both mine and your time which which while technicaly was correct in the context of the problem it was not the best advice. this is very frustraiting.

2. I aknowledge that your manners throught have been spotless and you always said thank you but it is actually quite insulting when you have spent time and effort helping someone and they then post the same question again in a new thread. you may as well start your new thread with "i asked this question in another thread but didnt get the answer i wanted and the guy helping me did have a clue so i am going to ask it again so that someone who knows more can answer."

i see that you have been at mg far longer than me which is why i responded to your second thread i saw. if you had not been a regular i would not have given you the benefit of the doubt and would have ignored your post.

ok. now tjat is sorted my first piece of advice is simple. GO TO BED AND SLEEP. do not read any further til you have caught up on your sleep. then come back and carry on.

You then have two options send your laptop back which appears to be the general consensu here or buy on 2gb stck of ddr3 pc10600 204 pin sodim of ram and install it yourself. this will cost you money and probably wont fix you problem. hopefully we will get this sorted now.

17. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi Tueur, and all ...

I simply wished to say, that it was never my inten to "insult" you or anyone here...on the contrary, I was thinking that I was going to "use you up", or, "burn you up" with my incessant questioning.

It's long been my practice or habit (in a place such as this) to "try" to learn things as well as get problems/issues with my tech items solved.

I just wasn't (fully) getting this with the RAM.

I never "doubted" you, I was simply trying to wrap my head around it ALL...and every time I would see all these numbers at the sites that sell AM, well, it seemed at each visit I was being presented with more and more numbers and terms: 1066 and 1333. "ECC". Buffered vs. non-buffered. It never seemed to end.

So rather than risk boring you, and risk losing all your help, I started other threads, hoping to bring some others in who would help me learn, and at the same time, be able to return to you/your replies with a better educated sense of it all.

That's all it was...that was it.

Thanks again, and in advance,
    glenn . . .

18. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Hi Glen,

Thanks for your post back. We all contribute to this forum because we want to help people and wouldnt leave you stranded. If there is anything that you dont understand then just post back in the same thread.

I appreciate that in the first thread my posts may have seemed a little confusing and in all honesty that was a lack of understanding of the K10 architecture on my part. I was under the impression that it was similar to K8 which I run but K10 has the ability to control the HyperTransport Link and the memory bus indipendently which I now understand a little better.

Anyway have a read through this article. Whilest you wont be able to overclock it gives a good overview as to how the K10 architecture works and hopefully will help you to understand the numbers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds