stubborn computers can't learn to share...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mr_flea, Feb 12, 2004.

1. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

I have 2 win xp pro machines. They used to share files and printers, but I reinstalled the OP system on one and all went to he*l. I don't know what I'm not doing this time, but they NEED to share again. I'm gettin tired of not being able to print. Both systems are set to share folders, the one with the printer is set to share the printer. The hardware is fine, I haven't touched it. Both computers have guest accounts turned on. The sharing security settings in the folders of each of them are set to allow everyone full access. The folders won't open on the other machine.

- - UPDATE - -
    Using TweakUI, I got one of the computers (the one with the printer) to share it's files and printer. The other will still not share, even if I sick TweakUI on it.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

did you disable simple file sharing?

disable guest account please.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

flea, does start, run \\computername work?

How about \\ip ?

Where are you testing the shares at?

4. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

Simple file sharing is dead because I hated it anyway. Disabling the guest account does absolutely nothing. \\computername brings up a login box. \\IP does the same. The shares are the shared documents folder, another documents folder, and other assorted folders of which I cannot remember the names of now. Putting my username and password in the login box lets me get into the shares, but I still want it so that it automatically connects without a username and password.

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

passthrough authentication. Make an account on both machines that match.. yes, even the password must be the same.

6. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

Would the guest account work?

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

pretend the guest account doesn't exist..

8. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

ok........... well can I at least use TweakUI to hide the account off the login screen, and if I do create identical accounts on each machine, will I need to be logged into the identical account to get on the other PC or will the identical account just have to be there?

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Haven't used the most recent TweakUI.

The account need only be present for it to authenticate.

10. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

I'll try that now.

11. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

Is it OK if I assign a password to the account or does it have to be password free?

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

you should assign a password to the account

Both machines should have the same

13. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

Accounts exactly the same down to the profile picture on both. Still no progress, except that now the one with the printer gets a login box instead of an access denied box when trying to connect. I have restarted both. The one without the printer can still connect to the one with it, and access all it's files and printers.

One thing that may have made a little difference: I don't use the default windows logon screen on the one without the printer, instead I use the password box. The features of the password box are getting rid of that windows logon screen where you click on your account, adding more security, and changing the ctrl + alt + del key combination effects.

14. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

any ideas???

15. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

Any shots in the dark at all?

16. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

is the one with the printer logged on with an account that exists on the machine without a printer.

(sorry, I totally forgot bout this thread)

17. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

Yep. 2 exactly the same accounts. still have to use the logon screen to connect.

It's ok that you forgot... I eventually would have forcefully reminded you... ;) :D

Oh wait... I see what you mean... stupid me... ;) You want me to create exactly the same accounts on each pc and log on with them so I don't have to put the password...

That was a stupid mistake... better go have more caffeine...

18. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

Ok, that worked, EXCEPT: 4 (out of 5) of the user accounts on the computer w/o a printer don't have a password, and the one without a printer is restricting access because of a lack of password. How do I change that setting for the LAN only?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds