stubborn Show hidden files option

Discussion in 'Software' started by enemigoman, Feb 25, 2008.

1. enemigoman

enemigoman Private E-2

Hello:

I am trying to follow the steps in the Malware Removal Guide, and got stucked when it came to show hidden files and folders.

Now, I know how to do this -I have done it before-, and I am following MG instructions on this matter too, but for some reason, every time I do it and check back, the selected option remains "Do not...". I click Apply and OK evry time.

Every other check/uncheck works, only this one doesn't.

I am using a private Windows XP PC (no network environment) and I do have administrators rights.

Please help. Thanks

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Go to the link below and scroll down to #155 on the left-hand side (Enable/Disable Show Hidden Files/Folders) and run the VBS file. Then see if the check/uncheck works.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double
    click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

Steve

3. enemigoman

enemigoman Private E-2

Hello:

I did what Matacumbie instructed. however, the problem persists. I will describe what happened:

I ran the script, and when I went to Tools/Folder Options/View, neither Do not Show... nor Show hidden files and folders option was selected. I then selected Show..., clicked Apply/OK and when I went back, Do not show... is selected again.

I ran the script again and, again, Do not show... was selected. I even rebooted the system, but everything happened again like I mentioned.

Could this be one of the symptoms of the malware I am trying to eradicate?

Thanks for this and any other suggestion.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds