Stuck in an XP setup loop, can't exit...help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by agangelus, Apr 26, 2008.

1. agangelus

agangelus Private E-2

Please help me!

Hi there

I was installing additional components of XP home edition...recovery console, and during the installation the setup gives out a couple of error messages:

An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing.
    One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.
    The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

System setup log - (c:\windows\setuperr.log)

Error:
    SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\10\MSFT\WINDOWS\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.MAN" on line 4

Error:
    Installation failed: D:\I386\asms. Error message: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Fatal Error:
    One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

The operation was canceled by the user.

So I restarted my pc but the message displayed said restarting setup. I also pressed f5 to boot in safe mode but the message said cannot setup in safe mode, restarting setup. I have tried rebooting numerous times but I can't seem to get out of this loop. It continues even after powering off and rebooting again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
    Alison :cry

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Can you restart the recovery process?
    Boot from XP CD and follow the options until asked if you want to install a new copy of XP or repair your current copy.
    Choose repair.

3. agangelus

agangelus Private E-2

Nope! The only options available are tab to enter the post, del to enter setup and esc to enter the bios. But no matter what I do as soon as I exit, it carries on to restart the setup!

I think I may just cut my hands off after gouging out my eyes:cry

4. peso

peso Private E-2

Hi . i'm also stuck in this loop. it sucks. did you ever find a solution?

5. agangelus

agangelus Private E-2

I did eventually solve this by using another copy of Windows XP home edition. Just be sure to select the repair and enter your own product key. Hope you get out of it soon :)

6. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Reading agangelus' reply, it would appear that his problem (and perhaps yours as well) was that part of his XP disc became unreadable.
    You might try (carefully) cleaning your install disc and trying again.

7. agangelus

agangelus Private E-2

Yep, that was pretty much the problem. The original disc was quite scratched so some of the information wasn't being read, therefore I used another xp disc (which wasn't so scratched) with my own product key and this solved the problem. I did initially try cleaning the original disc, but it was probably a little too scratched. :-D

Agangelus is a girl by the way, hence the avatar :wave

8. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

agangelus

My apologies for the gender faux pas.
    :-o

9. agangelus

agangelus Private E-2

LOL No worries, just thought I'd mention that there are girly geeks out here too ;)

Ali

10. peso

peso Private E-2

Well I got a new cd and that worked. thanks everyone.

11. agangelus

agangelus Private E-2

Hey, just glad I could help :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds