Stuck In Safe Mode!!!! Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by tmjenkins74, Sep 20, 2006.

1. tmjenkins74

tmjenkins74 Private E-2

I am stuck in safe mode!!! -ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED
    I have used F8 and was able to re-run windows XP CD
    Once finished it restarted back in safe mode
    cannot get to the start menu to reach msconfig
    upon start up it goes right tp a small back screen with "safemode" in all 4 corners!!!!
    HELP!!! I am a loan officer who works from home, not having access to my PC is $$!

Thanks TJ::eek:

2. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

When you boot up have you tried pressing F8 again and selecting Normal Startup?

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

4. tmjenkins74

tmjenkins74 Private E-2

yup, tried it. It still comes up in safe mode.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Did you try TimW's suggestion?

If so, then try the following:

When in safe mode, (I'm assuming the desktop doesn't appear?). Hit CTRL + ALT + DEL, this should bring up the task manager. Here, click File, then RUN, type in: explorer (press enter).

This should bring back your normal explorer shell.

If that doesn't work.

To bring up msconfig: File, run, type in: msconfig (press enter). While in msconfig, I recommend removing all startup items.

Please post if you still have issues.

6. tmjenkins74

tmjenkins74 Private E-2

thanks theefool, that worked!
    Now I'm stuck in the middle of the windows setup
    lost cmd that shows is
    AV/DNSP1.LOG
    set up was going fine and stopped there and has been stuck there for 45 minutes! UUGGG:rolleyes:

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If trying a repair install ...need to stop your anti-virus.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

During windows setup (is this during a repair install?) then you need to hit SHIFT + F10.

This will bring up the command prompt.

Next type in: taskmgr (press enter).

This will bring up the task manager. If you look at the processes, you might find a particular process is hanging you up. If setup.exe (or some similar worded file is at 100%, then you may want to ignore that). But, if any other file is listed at 100%, kill it. If you are unsure, then give us a listing of what is in your processes.

Or you can go to:

type in services.msc (press enter).

This will bring up the services manager. Here you can actually disable any service, such as you antivirus program.

Hope some of this helps out! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds