Stuck in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carnell2, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Carnell2

Carnell2 Private E-2

I have an HP computer with windows 98, but I don't really know all the specs, except I have 37.2 GB hard drive, 256 MB RAM and it's a PIII. The problem is that I recently cleared the whole hard drive cause os some kind of virus that slowed down the performance. Now that I have cleared the hard drive, how do I get out of safe mode. I also need to know how to change the color setting from the 12 bits and for some reason, it doesn't list the modem to connect to the internet, so how do I find the name of the modem for my system. I don't know all the specs, because I didn't buy it brand new and non of the installed software came with it.

2. simonk

simonk Corporal

case off time make sure you have turned of pc first
    it sounds as if your grahics has defaulted to vga mode as it doesnt recognise your graphics card. right click on desktop go to properties then click on settings that will tell you if it recognises your monitor and graphics card or not
    have you got the drivers for all your pci cards if not open up your machine jot down model numbers of modem/sound/video /chipset/another.or search your windows cd/or you can use windows update for the drivers.its agood idea tio keep them in case of probs in future
    in the case of your modem
    go to control panel modem and phone options then go to modems then add it should find your modem if you have one fitted and if it doesnt recognise it (doesnt have the drivers ) it will use a default setting for you to go on to the internet
    out of safe mode
    when the machine prompts you at safe mode scroll down to load windows normaly

3. simonk

simonk Corporal

im thinking that you think your in safe mode as all icons are large on desktop does it say safe mode in all 4 corners of the desktop

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds