Stuck in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gemini6912, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Gemini6912

Gemini6912 Private E-2

I am running Win98se, 1 gig cpu AMD Duron, asus A7V 333 motherboard...not sure what else u need....I do not recieve any error messages but since last night the comp goes into safe mode.
    I ran AVG anti virus softwear...defrag...all the windows system tools and its still in safe mode....Don't know what to do...Please any sugestions... Motherboard temp is 95 degrees and cpu is 155 as of this post....Just in case u need to know that info...

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Does it say SAFE MODE in all four corners of the screen? :confused:

If it doesn't, you probably actually have a video driver problem.

If it does, you may need to edit MSDOS.SYS to see if you have a BOOTSAFE=1
    entry which needs to be changed to
    BOOTSAFE=0

3. Gemini6912

Gemini6912 Private E-2

yes it says safe mode in all 4 corners......the menu comes up before it goes to safe mode...u know the #1 normal #2whatever #3 safe mode #4 safe mode stepby step etc.. etc.. tried choosing the other options but will go into nothing but the safe mode..options menu never came up before this while loading

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

See if THIS helps.

5. Gemini6912

Gemini6912 Private E-2

I printed up the article u sent me Insomniac and gave it to my brother whos computer is the one with the problems.....wellll he dosen't have Bootsafe liste in the Msdos.sys....so what he did was a bad move he changed the Boot GUI - 1 to a zero and now the screen is stuck on the windows 98 screen.....also it had listed Boot Multi =1 but he didn't change that...Now what I haven't a clue what to do...I tried the windows 98 start-up disk but it did nothing but sit on the C:/> prompt...as u can tell i'm no good at fixing computers either...but mine is fine and i'm not messing with it....So anyone HELP!!!!!!!

6. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

From the C:> prompt type CD/Windows then hit return.
    Now type Win and hit return
    That should get you back into Windows where you can put then go backand edit the msdos.sys file and put in the BootGui=1.
    Then have a look at what it says here

7. Gemini6912

Gemini6912 Private E-2

OK YARGWEL U told me to do this {From the C:> prompt type CD/Windows then hit return.Now type Win and hit return
    That should get you back into Windows where you can put then go backand edit the msdos.sys file and put in the BootGui=1.
    Then have a look at what it says here)
    >>>>I tried that and I cannaot get past the windows 98 screen with the flag and the blue bar going across the bottom....to make sure I wasn't being impatient I left it there.......It's still there........Any Suggestions I'm gettng magorly frustrated with this thing now HELP PLZZZZZ

8. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

OK Boot the PC. As soon as the "Starting Windows 98" message appears tap the F8 key like crazy :eek: This should bring up a menu of boot-up options. Pick the Safe Mode option. With luck you should then be able to undo msdos.sys changes. One you've got that far we'll see what else can be tried. ;)

9. Gemini6912

Gemini6912 Private E-2

Ok the msdos.sys problem has been solved..sowe are back to square one about being stuck in safe mode...right now we are going thru the microsoft trobleshooting article was in one of these posts...its taking awhile..
    while going thru some of the steps we came upon a few things that we need to know what they are nd if these might be contributing to the problem...by any chance do you know what yacs.log and sqmdata00-19.sqm are...what are they used for...can they be deleted..should they be saved....
    Thanks for your help

10. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Sorry I've not been back to you but I've been away for a couple of days. :)

Now yacs.log has something to do with Yahoo messenger I believe. Amd the sqm file may have something to do with the game Operation-Flashpoint.

You could then try here

Have you tried step by step confirmation bootup by the way? :confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds