Stuck in XP sp1 land.

Discussion in 'Software' started by arbetter2000@yahoo.com, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Gentlemen,

Here are the problems. I am stuck in XP SP1 land due to having bought a pre-owned computer (that I believe was a server), and as a result, has an invalid key (so sayeth WGA). I can get the key by using Jellybean or Keyfinder, and get the SN using some other program available on your site. That is not the problem. The issue is, once I have the key/sn, what do I do with it/them to work around the WGA and move on to sp2 or 3.

BTW, going back to the source of the computer is not an option, and I really don't want to spend the loot to get a key from MS.

Ron.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

There is no workaround other than if your failing WGA, to call Microsoft support in your area to have them manually activate the key if its genuine and failing, if its not genuine then new key is needed I'm afraid. Their can be legitimate reasons a legit key can fail but you could try the Genuine Advantage Diagnostic

Some info on WGA

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

An OEM disk of Windows XP Home (SP3) is only about $85.00.Would have no problems with WGA,Validation,or worries about SP2 or SP3.

4. Right, but I've got XP Pro. Further, how/where would I get an OEM copy, and also, I would have to do a new install.

As such, I would need to get another hard drive, because I am rapidly running out of space. It opens up a whole new can of worms, because of the significant upgrading downtime cost.

Yes, I know growing pains.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds