Stuck Laptop Keyboard Key

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Sep 4, 2006.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

I spilled water - ooops! A few days of drying out seemd to fix everything except for one thing - a stuck key. I cannot type the particular letter at this time because I am using the laptop to post ! :) Just for reference it is located between "tab" and "w" keys and it is between "p" and "r" in the alphabet.

The laptop in kwestion is a Gateway. I cannot remember the specific model number at the moment but it is relatively new at about 7 months. I have removed the key and I will do my best to describe the contsrution of the key:

Below the key are two small plastic cradles that oppose each other. They cross each other to support the key on top of a small rubber diaphragm. Below that assembly is a small sheet of green plastic with a small dark circle directly below the diaphragm.

I have removed the key and removed the plastic pieces and diaphragm. I have gently cleaned it and reassembled it with no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Daughter has killed at least two keyboards the same way ...except it was either juice or cola (nice sticky stuff) ...have cleaned with alcohol, dusted off, you name it ...some times it worked, sometimes it didn't....new keyboard @ $14.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds