stuck on itunes start up page

Discussion in 'Software' started by robert707, Jan 7, 2014.

1. robert707

robert707 Corporal

Hi I start Itunes and it's the opening page were they ask you if you want to share your file info with apple don't agree or agree in blue..and watch tutorials...there a bunch of arrow pointing to every thing

The picture shows up too big for the screen, like the blue button to say "agree" is just under the bottom transparency bar (WIN7). Right clicking on my desktop I can only bump the resolution as high as 1360x768. I have a Phillips HDTV monitor with a VGA connection.

Clicking on any of the options in the drop down menu in itunes it's just doesn't respond...connecting my ipod and then clicking on it's icon in the top bar nothing happens. I don't know if the program is waiting for me to say "agree" or "don't agree" before opening up.

what to do?

2. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Are you having graphics problems outside of iTunes (when iTunes is not running)? Problems with other programs? Or is this strictly limited to iTunes? In other words, when iTunes is NOT running, are you having any problems whatsoever with your system?

3. robert707

robert707 Corporal

I had this large image prob when I was doing the malware procedure....with hitman it hapend.

I am having a few probs at once, a jumpy pen cursor and my NIC may or may not be acting up.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=282856

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=282836

That second link properly summarizes my NIC/router drama, but if you want you can scan through this related software forum thread were I posted some BSOD. (They kept referring me from forum to forum)

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=282130

I haven't had any BSOD since doing a system restore after rulling out malware. But none of that is graphics.

4. rustysavage

Wow, you've got some issues, bro. I don't know how to put all of that together under a single cause (as is required by Occam's Razor, if you want to be scientific). Unfortunately, I'm no hardware guru either. While we wait for someone more hardware savvy to pop in, you ought to collect some info about your system and post it here. To do this, just follow along:

OK, first I need you to download a program called Speccy from the following page:

http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html

Just your typical info gathering tool. Install the program and don't change any of the settings. Just leave them at their default settings
    Run the program and let it analyze your system (takes less than 30 seconds). When it finishes click FILE >>Save As Text
    Save the text file to your desktop.
    Go to your desktop and open the text file with notepad (just double click on it). Edit out any personal information including serial numbers, then save it.
    If you know how to archive files using the ZIP or RAR format then go ahead and archive the text file. If not, then don't worry about it, just leave the text file as it is.

Then go to http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880 to learn how to attach a file to your post.

Post another message in this thread with the aforementioned text file attached.

That will give people here something to work with in diagnosing your problem. Also, you ought to try and write up a concise history of your problems, combining the 3 threads into a single story (as opposed to simply linking to the other threads). I've got a few questions:

1. Did you ever get the NIC related problem solved? If so, how?
    2. Did you ever get the pointing device problem solved? If so, how?
    3. Does the current iTunes related problem occur in Safe Mode?
    4. What happened in the Malware forum? Were you infected and cured or never infected at all?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  5. robert707

robert707 Corporal

Attached Speccy text info...but then I don't know how much other probs relate to the itunes thing. It's not just the image, menu options seem locked by the program clicking on the ipod icon and nothing opens, I'm not having any such software probs with any other program.

As for my other probs....I can only summarize so much, I don't think your supposed to ask for help on all your probs in one thread actually. As far as it may shed light on the itunes prob I'll just briefly explain a few things:

My net connection was spazing on and off when put through my wired router, but works when I plug the cable right from the modem to my PC..the thing is the same cable and port on the router work fine when hooked to my games console so there is a question of is it my router or is PC not getting along with the router..But I'm getting help on that now in another thread. NOT solved.

In the malware forum I did the complete checking procedure and they said I had no Malware and was sent to the the software forum. So, never infected.

Will check the itunes in safe mode....hang on.

6. robert707

robert707 Corporal

Checking itunes in safemode:

Went into safe mode, clicked to open iTunes, got a few pop up messages the first:

"itunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/Video playback may not operate properly."

Then this one:

"Software required for communicating with ipod was not installed correctly. Would you like to repair this?"

Then:

"The Bonjour service has been disabled. bonjour is required fro sharing music with others through airpay, connecting to apple TV and using iphone and ipod touch remote."

That last one seems wierd 'cause that all sounds like MAC stuff, but why would my PC itunes even have that? The Image fit in window from top to bottom enough for me to click 'no thanks' and then the program options opened up! So that was just a software thing were you had to do that one thing before anything else opened up, it seems. Then on to connect my ipod and then this:

"The software required for this iPod is not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes in install the required software."

I tried opening iTunes up in normal Win7 and had all the program options unfrozen but when I installed my ipod I got the same message.

Should I just use add/remove programs for uninstaling iTunes or do you have any tools for that?

7. robert707

robert707 Corporal

PS: have solved the Pen problem , double checked it on the other PC and it was also malfunctioning there, turned out it was not my PC after all. few....just in case you thought it was related.

8. robert707

robert707 Corporal

Whoops here's the Speccy info:

Attached Files:

9. rustysavage

Thanks for the log. I don't see anything that jumps out at me as being a contributing cause of your problems but then again I'm not the right person to ask because I haven't gotten that piece of s*** iTunes program to install in over one year.

I did notice in the log that you apparently applied 93 Windows updates in one go yesterday and didn't mention that in your last post (is that true?)

I suggest that you start by checking whether you have the latest drivers and firmware for your graphics card and chipset:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Se...ers&ProductProduct=IntelĀ®+Q35+Express+Chipset

10. robert707

robert707 Corporal

Yeah I thought that may have something to do with why iTunes wasn't installing properly...didn't make a difference so I didn't mention it.

I'm gonna uninstall iTunes do a reinstall after updating the chipset.....will that cover any audio probs? The video driver? 'Cause it mentioned that in my last post.

11. rustysavage

I'm just surprised that Microsoft could put out 93 updates that didn't crash your computer ;)
    Here's an Apple website page that explains how to uninstall iTunes completely.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1923

And no, I'm sorry to say that I do not know of any apps that aim to completely uninstall iTunes.

The only other suggestion I have is to attempt to install iTunes from Safe Mode. I've had some limited success with that approach for software that refussd to install completely/correctly from full Win7.

12. rustysavage

Sorry, I forgot to address your question about the drivers and firmware. If you have no success with the iTunes uninstall/reinstall then I would update the drivers for the graphics card first (if available). If that doesn't work to resolve the problem, then update the firmware (if available). Note, however, that updating firmware is always risky and when faced with a firmware update I always go to the manufacturer's site to review exactly what issues the update addresses. If none of them apply to my system, I don't update the firmware. Unfortunately, I have no idea whether the driver updates will address any audio problems you're having. That's entirely up to the people who program the drivers. Don't forget to create a restore point prior to installing updated drivers, just in case they turn out to be problematic.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  13. robert707

robert707 Corporal

For anyone else reading this with the same problem...when I went to uninstall itunes in the a control panel I noticed a button next to Uninstall called "repair"...I tried it and now my Itunes is recognizing my ipod and everything!....it is still loading up WAY too big for my screen, were the graphics resolution isn't in sinc with my monitor...or something BUT I've been having that with other programs so it's not specific to this installation of itunes.

Will try and figure that out separately.

14. rustysavage

I'm glad you got that all sorted out with iTunes. Given that you are still having problems with the graphics of numerous program interfaces, I think it's worthwhile to consider updating your graphics hardware drivers. Here's a link to a program that will assess your hardware, look for driver updates, and at your command will update any drivers that need updating.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_driver_booster.html

Just remember to look for, and opt out of, the adware offered during installation of this program. And create a system restore point prior to updating drivers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds