Student Wants Tablet For School/internet, Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jerry78, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Jerry78

Jerry78 Private First Class

hi
    I want a tablet that can have a keyboad, usb boards, wifi(and data plan/ or/and only wifi, )
    -usb port(normal or micro)
    -touch screen

any thoughts about tablet? like one you've used?

thanks

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

1. All tablets are touchscreen. That is the normal input method. Make sure the tablet you look at has bluetooth so you can use a cordless bluetooth keyboard when you prefer not to type onscreen.

2. I have no idea what you mean by USB board.

3. You mention wifi and data plans or only wifi. Which is it?

4. You failed to mention if you prefer to run Windows, Android or iOS.

3. Jerry78

opps!

I meant and said, usb port. so I can use a usb jump drive

well, I thought wifi or data plan+wifi, I'm not sure
    I thought someone likely has one they like and i wanted to hear about that one, so I didnt want to exclude stuff I dont know much about
    basically, I want a way to take notes in classs, send emails, play a few minor games on it(not WoW or anything that needs lots of RAM/.memory
    I thought the
    Dell Venue 8 Pro 5855 looked good
    http://www.tabletpcreview.com/feature/best-tablets-for-college-students/

but really, i thought guys have these things, I'd like to hear about what they are using

4. plodr

1. You don't need a normal size USB port to use a USB jump drive. Very few tablet have a normal size USB port. It makes the device too fat. Thin is in for tablets and phones.
    There is something called OTG (On The Go). You have a micro USB port on one end and a normal USB female plug on the other so you can use any USB device (mouse, powered USB hub, USB sticks, USB mouse).
    OTG.jpg
    But you can also get things to and from a USB stick. Plug the tablet into a computer, put the USB stick into the same computer and use Windows Explorer to move things back and forth. That's how I move pictures off my phone and camera.

I'll bow out because I wouldn't buy a tablet with Windows on it. Most tablets have 16GB or 32GB. With the sizes of Windows 10 updates, you might be struggling for storage space soon.
    http://www.tabletpcreview.com/tabletreview/dell-venue-8-pro-5855-review/
    not good battery life so if you are on campus and have no place to plug in, you'll need to carry a few spare batteries.
    It has a USB C connector so you'll need to buy adapters to use your old USB items.
    I wouldn't get a Windows tablet with cellular because then you'll be stuck, I think, with Windows phone software and that market is just about dead.
    If you decide on a Windows tablet, just get wifi.

I have two Android tablets. An older 7" Asus and Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1". Go look at sizes to see if you'd be happy with an 8" display. It will probably seem too small. My larger tablet came with Word and Excel so I could use Word to take notes but I would not be able to type fast enough onscreen so I'd end up carting around a bluetooth keyboard. I'd hate that.

So, think about looking at larger size tablets with detachable keyboards/cases with keyboards, and good battery life. If you want to take notes, and don't want to use a keyboard, then you'll need to look at tablets with styluses so you can write note.

Read some articles on what people prefer to take notes in class, a tablet or a laptop.
    Here's an older article
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StudentNurse/comments/36pcui/laptop_vs_tablet_for_classes/

You might decide that using a laptop is better and you don't need a tablet.

Good luck.

Post back, in few months with what you decided on and how it has been working for you.

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

What is your budget?

6. Jerry78

I buy what I need
    what are you thinking about?>

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

8. Jerry78

have you used one?
    I see it has a USB 3 port and a microSD slot, so is that what makes it different than an ipad/etc?
    it is loaded with stuff, camera?
    man, that looks great...I'm considering the surface tablet vs the surface laptop..
    great suggestion, thank you

9. plodr

10. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Owww... I know someone with one and it ran great, but I don't like those odds. After reading that though, I would give it a lot of thought before buying one now. If CR says they stink, there's definitely something rotten in Redmond.

I've had a few Lenovo laptops over the years. I've long since given them away to friends and relatives, and they're still going strong after years of use. These aren't as fancy as a Surface but they are viable alternatives.
    https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-miix-510/review/
    https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-tablet/

11. plodr

I did read, Consumer Report dropped support for the Surface BUT apparently this was based on v 3 and v 4 information. Version 5 might be out now so you'd probably have to wait several months to see any problems reported with them.

12. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It's the same flawed support structure, though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds