Stupid computer ... big problems !?!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mrs. Trull, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Mrs. Trull

Mrs. Trull Private E-2

I am having so many problems i don not really know where to start. I am having Java problems, ActiveX control problems, Computer frrezing up problems, I can not even down load the information on this site to do a scan. Can anyone help...please!?! I am very scared that we have a virus or something equally as evil running aroung in my computer. I have a Windows XP home running

2. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

3. Mrs. Trull

Mrs. Trull Private E-2

i cannot down load anything, we had Macafee but its like the computer ate it or something

4. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

I know I saw a thread that someone couldnt download from the internet, but I forgot where it was...

controlmind

5. Mrs. Trull

Mrs. Trull Private E-2

ok, i'm going to try all that is suggested and i'll be back... pray for me.

6. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

goodluck :)

controlmind

7. Mrs. Trull

Mrs. Trull Private E-2

ok um, i tried to do all those downloads and my computer goes to a white screen and says please wait downloading and a blue progress bar goes about the length of the screen and then nothing happens, oh and in the bottom left hand corner of the screen it goes to done, that cannot be right, is it?

8. Mrs. Trull

Mrs. Trull Private E-2

ok, i can not down load anything ... i get a Microsoft INternetExplorer messege that says ..." Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result the page may not display correctly" any ideas? i'm really stuck in broken computer land aren't I ?!?!

9. Mrs. Trull

Mrs. Trull Private E-2

i do not know what to do now, i really cannot down load anything, I even turned my security level to non existant and still nothing.

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try disabling your firewall and try the downloads.

Steve

11. Mrs. Trull

Mrs. Trull Private E-2

how do i do that? :confused:

12. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

What McAfee product do you have?

controlmind

13. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

You mentioned McAfee, do you have the Internet Security version? There should be an icon next to your clock in the bottom right of your screen for McAfee or a firewall program.

Hold your cursor over them and see if one is a firewall.

Steve

14. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

If you do have McAfee Internet Security Suite just open the Control Center(i think it is called that) and find the firewall and disable it.

controlmind

15. Mrs. Trull

Mrs. Trull Private E-2

Sorry, computer crashed again, ok, i have/had the one you can download from AOL. I say had because if you attempt to do anything, even just place your pointer on the symbol, it disappears until the next time it crashes, etc.

16. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I would uninstall it thru add/remove in the control panel. That might be causing some of your problems.

It sounds like something is "blocking" or interfering with your downloads, so it's important to disable any program you might have that blocks pop-ups, ads, spam, etc.

Also, while you are in the Control Panel, click on Security Center and see if you have Windows Firewall.

Steve

17. flickyvicky48

flickyvicky48 Private E-2

:cool: Do you have Spybot with the Tea Timer? That would account for the Active X warnings. When you can download again you may have to update your Java. Go to java.com and get the newest version. Go into your Control Panel/Internet Conections, and check all of your settings and see if there is something in there that may be checked that could be keeping you from downloading. Don't be too discouraged, it may not be as bad as it seems. You are probably just a couple a clicks away from it all being straightened out. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds