Stupid Questions about Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Big_Al, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Big_Al

Big_Al Private E-2

Hello,
    For some reason, my I.E. is doing some crazy things lately. Really dragging if it even loads pages at all. I don't have this problem with AOL or Netscape, so I figure somehow my I.E. must be corrupted?? I ran a virus scan and Norton found nothing (with live update as well). That's my first question.......what would be the cause for an "all of a sudden" crash with I.E. , other than a virus?
    Now for the really dumb question......if it is corrupted, how the heck do I uninstall it? I can't find it in Add/Remove Programs. Where does it hang out on the computer?? Or.....if I install a new version, will it correct the corrupted files?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I'm lost here.
    Al

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

A browser hijack or spyware is possible as these may not effect your other browsers. Try running Ad-Aware. Also, try CCleaner in our drive cleaner section to clena up garbage and report back. Internet Explorer can not easily be uninstalled, rather go to option and reset defaults. I have never seen a needed reinstall of IE.

3. Big_Al

Big_Al Private E-2

Holy Cow! I didn't realize I had so much crap on my computer. C-Cleaner freed up over 10 gigs on my hard drive! Now I'm off to download Ad-aware.
    Thanks for the help :)
    Chris

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Good to hear. Sounds like a defrag might be in order. I assume you may have excessive startup items. Might be a good idea to use a RegCleaner or RegSupreme which not only clean registry items, but allow you to access startup items. Should get you running smoothly from there.

5. Big_Al

Big_Al Private E-2

Thanks again Major. Here's what I did yesterday before my original post:

• Deleted Cookies/Temp Files
    • Windows Update
    • System Scan
    • Defrag
    • Norton Live Update
    • Full Virus Scan
    None of those solved the problem. After that, I was lost. :confused: Now I downloaded Ad-Aware, ran the program, and it found several files to delete. My computer froze when I tried to let the program delete them. I occasionally have that problem when trying to run a virus scan or burn CD's. I thought it was a heat issue, but all other sources tell me the processor is fine.
    By the way, C-Cleaner has increased performance, but did not solve the issue with I.E. However, I downloaded Netscape last night and it screams......incredibly fast. Guess I'll try Ad-Aware again later today.

Al

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

you can set ad-aware to scan at next boot. This will hopefully scan your system before anything else can load up . It may help get you past the freezing issue when cleaning.

7. Big_Al

Big_Al Private E-2

Thanks Kodo. I'll try that. Don't know what I'd do without you guys. :)

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Big Al,

Download and install these 2 as well.

Cleanup! http://www.stevengould.org/ Freeware 3.1
    EmpTemp http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1575

These 2 complement CrapCleaner, are free, and don't conflict with each other.

EmpTemp has to be run manually but is not too hard to learn.

Each of the 3 catches stuff that the others miss, no matter which you run first. I run CCleaner, then Cleanup then EmpTemp daily. Hope this helps. Bazza

===

9. Big_Al

Big_Al Private E-2

Thanks Bazza. Again, you guys are the best!
    Al

10. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

WELCOME to Major Geeks. If it wasn't for the answers I received in Software...my computer would be a big old paperweight on my desk. ;)

Never, ever think a question is Dumb, stupid, etc.
    Ask and you shall LEARN!!!
    Although I still run IE (not sure why) since you have Netscape and like it, is there a reason you run IE at all since it's giving you problems? You can import your favorites, etc. all to Netscape and use that browser alone.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds